Ledge well modification

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Creeker
CBoats Addict

Ledge well modification

Post by Creeker »

I looked for a bit and didn't see that mod someone did to a ledge (I think) to make a well behind the saddle perfect for my camera watershed bag. There was a post with a picture last month. I'm getting ready to put a 3rd thwart in my option and thought I'd just take another peek at what someone did in that post last month but I can't find it.

anyone remember that thread or the poster mind reposting that picture here again?

thx
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Re: Ledge well modification

Post by busterblue »

I think this is the thread you are looking for.

Unfortunately, the image links appear to be broken. Maybe funkidreadz can fix or repost.
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

thanks man that's it. I'm working on it.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Hey Creeker, how did this project work out? I just got the small watershed bag, and was looking at trying to put it into my Option this afternoon.

Thanks!
Shep
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

It worked out fine.

check out this video.....boring but details contained in there. I made this video for jeremy to lace up my friend's 3 thwart Option the way I made mine.

Video PASSWORD= "option"
https://vimeo.com/37980656" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Pretty nice. When the video started I thought there was no way I was going to add a third thwart, but 2 minutes later, I think I'm just about sold. For me, it's not a bag of video equipment, but a first aid bag. Do you see any reason not to put the extra thwart in the front, instead of the back?

Thanks,
Shep
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

I wouldn't want to weigh down the bow for moves like a boof or making it harder to boss the nose to a certain direction. Sometimes I'm carrying 3 cameras, maybe even a tripod but usually its only a single big heavy Digital SLR...besides I like my heavy water bottle up front as well as my throwbag for possible in water rescues.
You can go with half the beef of a normal Option thwart for what we are doing to hold gear in.

Good Luck!
h2sk1
C Guru

Post by h2sk1 »

Creeker wrote:I wouldn't want to weigh down the bow for moves like a boof or making it harder to boss the nose to a certain direction. Sometimes I'm carrying 3 cameras, maybe even a tripod but usually its only a single big heavy Digital SLR...besides I like my heavy water bottle up front as well as my throwbag for possible in water rescues.
You can go with half the beef of a normal Option thwart for what we are doing to hold gear in.

Good Luck!
How are you protecting your DSLR in the bag? I've been impressed by the Ocoee drybag, but I've been concerned that if the boat bounced around upsidedown, the bag may get beaten up by rocks. Is your camera surrounded by hard or soft foam? Minicell? Do you have a secondary waterproof ziplock just in case?
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

I don't really worry about my Canon 7d much at all except that it doesn't get lost. Depending on lens its $1800 to double that. I put it in the standard watershed padded insert. It's not that fantastic but its pretty good. I don't double bag. I keep a small backpacking microfiber hand towel in there to use and I guess it protects too in that one spot. I care more about losing posession of the camera VS damage. I've never had a camera last more than 2.5 year and most lasted 12-18 months because I get them wet during rain events or from waterfall heavy mist. I protect all my equipment with a water hazard protection plan purchased at B&H photo. I try not to sweat it, whatever happens happens.
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

couple things about the Ocoee bag. make sure you burp as much air out of it such that if you get a direct impact it wont blast burp the air out and possibly blow open the seal. Also put the bag up to the light and look for nicks from the inside from hard corners of contents striking the bag material (if you don't use a watershed liner). Early on I didn't use a liner and I had almost 30 nicks which actually look like pinholes of light coming in. I patched my bag up before I started carrying the 7D in there.
h2sk1
C Guru

Post by h2sk1 »

Creeker wrote:couple things about the Ocoee bag. make sure you burp as much air out of it such that if you get a direct impact it wont blast burp the air out and possibly blow open the seal. Also put the bag up to the light and look for nicks from the inside from hard corners of contents striking the bag material (if you don't use a watershed liner). Early on I didn't use a liner and I had almost 30 nicks which actually look like pinholes of light coming in. I patched my bag up before I started carrying the 7D in there.
thanks for the details. I hadn't thought to look for the nicks. I'm amazed that you get only a year or so out of the camera. Scary.
dafriend
C Guru

Post by dafriend »

h2sk1 wrote: I'm amazed that you get only a year or so out of the camera. Scary.
You should see what he does to his boats! :lol:
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

There's nothing to match a high-end DSLR. But I just bought a Canon G15 , a compact rangefinder, loaded with features and functions, that has been getting excellent reviews. f1.8 to 2.8 over its 28-140 mm zoom range. Fast to get ready to shoot, and from shot to shot.

I'm about to order a Canon waterproof Lexan case for it. Combined, the weight and size will be similar to a DSLR, and it can stay out, ready for my snapshooting photographic style. I've been using the same system for several years with a Canon Elph. Such combinations easily outperform available waterproof digitals, though the Lexan waterproof cases are clumsier.

I've used Tupperware canisters, ammo boxes, and Watershed bags to protect cameras, but there's nothing like having a camera already out, protected, but ready to use.

Incidentally, Eric Nyre used a Lexan case system, and devised a clever foam holder so that he could push the camera face down into it, where the camera doesn't get splash on the lens cover.