Pyranha Karnali L Conversion

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

norm
c

Pyranha Karnali L Conversion

Post by norm »

I'm new to a C1, and just picked up a large Karnali hull to convert. I'll keep this thread updated with pictures and questions as I go along. This will be my first conversion, but I've done a lot of outfitting in my open boat, so I'm not too worried about it.

I'm planning on using two pieces of PVC as the backbone and integrating them through an old dagger saddle. I'll bolt the PVC to the bow and stern pillars and to screws from the foot bracing in the Kayak outfitting then foam the bottom so it all doesn't rub against the hull. If there are any problems with this please someone let me know!

Before I start any of that though, anybody have any advice on seat placement. I'm trying to get in the pool/lake this weekend to check out the trim, but any advice is welcome.

Looking forward to finishing this up and getting on the water
wncred
C Boater

Re: Pyranha Karnali L Conversion

Post by wncred »

i have a L Karnali and i love it! right off the top of my head the back of the saddle is 9" from back side of cockpit rim. i am 6' and 175lb.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Spot on Red. Unless you have changed it any the set back on your Karnali is 9"
norm
c

Post by norm »

So far I've kinda followed this build while adding in the dagger saddle: http://www.open-canoe.de/open-sucks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Beneath the saddle and PVC, the hull is completely foamed out. I'm going to bolt the PVC to the front pillar, and its wedged in pretty tight in the stern pillar. I still have to add some aluminum bracing up front to stop the lateral movement.

Does anyone more experienced than me see any structural problems with the backbone I've built? I'd like to get it all set before I start gluing my foam in and finishing the saddle.

cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Looks good to me, but for the record that is not a Dagger saddle. It came out of a Perception Gyramax. Someone has cut the "wings" off that held the saddle in place with two through the hull screws on each side. Gyramax saddles have been my favorite for conversions. They will fit in any boat.
norm
c

Post by norm »

Yeah I cut the wings off