Those who put feet under the pegs, how do you stay in?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

JFC
C Boater

Those who put feet under the pegs, how do you stay in?

Post by JFC »

What does everyone else who keeps their feet flat do to keep their legs in the bulkhead? I'm just barely starting to work on my roll, and I keep my feet flat on the hull. This may just be my ignorance/lack of experience, but it seems that there's not much keeping my legs in the bulkhead. I've thought about raising the pegs or putting a block at the back of the saddle for my heels to press against, but is this really a big deal?
rivercowboy
C Boater

Re: Those who put feet under the pegs, how do you stay in?

Post by rivercowboy »

Personally, I press the bottom of my feet against the foot braces to hold myself in the boat. In my C-1 there are no foot braces but foam blocks to press my toes against.

You can cut some short lengths of swimming noodles to put under your ankles, this will hold you against the foot braces better if you want to keep your feet flat. If that works, glue some mini cell foam there and shape it till it's comfortable.

Can't wait to see the rest of the responses to this.
Charlie Wilkerson
ACA Certified Whitewater Canoe Instructor
Dickson, TN
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

What's your set-up? Open or deck? Thigh straps or lap belt?

For C1 with a lap belt and bulkhead I have a thin foam on the hull that provides a little grip for my flat feet.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Unless you are using a lapbelt (don't) in a bulkhead you'll most likely just fall out of the outfitting/boat while trying to roll if you aren't pushing on the pegs. Phil and I agree on this 100%... people that swim quite often that don't actually push on the pegs will try to debate this. :lol:

Watch some videos if you are bored

http://vimeo.com/user8656778/videos/page:5/sort:date" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vimeo.com/26362295" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Craig's is the point I was trying to make on truckeeboater's thread. *IF* you fit into the bulkhead, then you should be able to keep yourself in the boat by pushing down on the foot braces with the balls of your feet.

I use tall (4" or so) ankle blocks to make it easier to relax my ankles in this position.

Shep
watermonkey
C Boater

Post by watermonkey »

Shep wrote:Craig's is the point I was trying to make on truckeeboater's thread. *IF* you fit into the bulkhead, then you should be able to keep yourself in the boat by pushing down on the foot braces with the balls of your feet.

I use tall (4" or so) ankle blocks to make it easier to relax my ankles in this position.

Shep
Shep,
thanks for tying these two threads together. I'm running feet under the pegs in the force, thus adding a lap belt. I am really snug in the bulkhead, but still lift off. I haven't tried ankle block as large as 4", but ones that high might get me back on the pegs instead of under. I haven't had a red can buzz in few weeks, time to glue more foam.
dsmoake
C Boater

Post by dsmoake »

I just got a new Option and had the track raised so there would be 4 1/2 inches between the hull and the foot brace. I can get more of my foot under the brace and stay in much easier. I did and ankle blocks, they help a lot for comfort. I also added ankle blocks on the front side of the saddle just above the PVC pipes that help my knees stay in place. Before I added these, I could move my onside knee side to side 3-4 inches while I was upside down or while rolling which didn't help my roll. I am a newbie but this really helped me. In my previous boat I trimmed the bottom of the brace so I could get more of my foot under the brace. It helped a little but the raised braces are much better.
Dave
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

I generally have the midde part of my foot pressing into the foot brace with my toes under. If this is not enough to keep you in then you may want to add more foam to either the thigh hooks so they come back further OR add blocks to the sides for the top of your thighs to contact (this is my preference).

Most will offer the caution, make sure you can still get out but it really is tough to get a bulkhead so built up that you don't just fall out if you relax.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I've never used anything in my c-1s or OC-1s. But I'm 6' 5" and in my c-1s, the combo of my thighs against the straps, knee blocks, and cockpit rim, and my long shins and feet pressed against the bottom, is more than enough to keep me in the boat for several rolls. Toe blocks or pegs would be a great danger to me.

As for my open boats, I don't roll them, so I don't need to be locked in. I fuss with the dimensions of the center thwart, knee cups, knee wedges, and seat back until I can maintain good control in heavy water. But if I swamp or flip anyway, I want to fall out of the boat fairly easily.
keez
C Guru

Post by keez »

I bolted triangular blocks (I think Craig S has a diagram on here somewhere) to the foot pegs to give me something to push against, and my roll is pretty bomb-proof.
Agree that you do need something to push against to roll.
I wouldn't put my toes under the foot pegs if I were you; a rock could pinch your feet/toes between the hull and the pegs.
Good luck.
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

I personally like to push against the foot pegs I think it is silly to put your feet under the pegs, it is a good way to break a foot. I know there will be folks who say "I've been doing it for 20 years and never had a problem, when you paddle hard water stuff flexes and sooner or later it is going to be painful.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

I would post a photo of my best (most comfortable) ankle blocks showing how tall they are but, a) in a Taureau it's impossible to get a good angle on it and b) I sold that boat to Gumpy a few weeks ago. I would like to put ankle blocks in the option, but my dad's feet are much wider than mine, and we are ostensibly co-owners of the boat. /:|

Shep
JFC
C Boater

Post by JFC »

Shep, thanks again for bringing up truckeeboater's thread. I couldn't find it in a search, for some reason.

Thanks all. This is in an Octane. The rigging is stock except that I raised the saddle and opened the thighhooks a little to compensate for the saddle height and to put my knees a little more outboard.

At least part of the problem is that I have bunions that keep my toes from bending upwards much. I've tried, but I haven't found the room to bend my ankles so that my toes point forward. Basically, the knees and toes don't bend enough (I'm also pretty big; maybe this limits range of motion a little...?)

I did take some pictures, and it looks like I may be able to either bolt extensions onto the pegs or move the pegs up so that I can hold them with the heels or soles of my shoes. It's not as strong as pushing with the balls of my feet, but it may work. I also tend to keep my feet splayed, so I may just block the area under the footpeg and eliminate that pinch point.

Craig, nice music! Kidding aside, thanks. I've been looking for a good point of view video to try to put everything together, and it's starting to make sense.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

That peg is ALL THE WAY BACK!!! That's why you have the slider tracks. Slide that foot brace forward and lock yourself in. With nice, tall ankle blocks, you won't be crushing your toes on the bottom of the boat, your foot will be in pretty much anatomical position, and you will be able to push down hard on those foot pegs when you need to stay locked into the boat.

Shep
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

how tall IS that saddle?
are you sitting in the saddle in that pic? looks like your thighs are nearly vertical. if thats the case, your bulkhead will never keep you in... unless you're pushing into it real hard with your feet like shep says. the lower you can get the angle of your leg, the better grip your outfitting will have.
you might just need good shoes so you can use the pegs the way they were meant to be used. putting your feet under the pegs in whitewater is insane.
if you creek and get yourself pinned in the boat by your big toe.... :oops:
Larry