Option as CC Bulldog alternative

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

RobertM
Pain Boater

Option as CC Bulldog alternative

Post by RobertM »

I'm currently paddling a Composite Creations Bulldog, my first open boat.

It is a non-stop laugh riot to paddle, I can't wipe the smile of my face when I'm in this boat, but, it is a composite boat, and I am in Kentucky.

So, one afternoon after a bit of G-flex touch-up my charming bride said to me, "You need to get a plastic open boat". As an aside, this is the same woman who told me "That Cascade is starting to get a bit thin, you should pick up a spare for when it gets worn out". I'm a truly fortunate man.

Anyhow, I was kind of thinking of an Option as a skinny water alternative to the Bulldog.

So, is there any chance that there is someone out there who has paddled them both and can compare. Or who has paddled a Bulldog and can suggest something else that handles like it? In particular, I like the (feels to me like ) sharp edges combined with big secondary stability, it really has encouraged me to commit hard on my offside leans.

And it's an enormous blast to paddle.

On a related topic, I'm hoping to be at ALF for the first weekend, any chance that somebody might have an Option that I could try out for a bit?

Thanks
Robert

"One Fish, Two Fish
Red Fish, Blue Fish"
Shep
CBoats Addict

Re: Option as CC Bulldog alternative

Post by Shep »

A lot of people have Options you should be able to try. Jeremy might even have one you can take home with you. :)
h2sk1
C Guru

Post by h2sk1 »

RobertM wrote:I'm currently paddling a Composite Creations Bulldog, my first open boat.

Anyhow, I was kind of thinking of an Option as a skinny water alternative to the Bulldog.

Thanks
I've paddled a Bulldog (I've never owned one, just borrowed one for a day), and I wouldn't say the Option is a creek alternative to the Bulldog. This is coming from someone who likes the Option, but one of the things you said you like about the Bulldog is the chines, and how snappy it is getting into and out of eddies. The Option is much tamer in this regard, which may not satisfy you, but the fact it is so stable is what a lot of people like about the Option.

The Prelude comes to mind as a plastic 'lively' boat, but that one you should definitely try, as many people feel it is too lively (i.e. too tippy).

While you are at ALF, definitely get in an Option - you'll probably like it, but not because you think it acts like a Bulldog. Try the other plastic boats people have and see what suits you.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

I've owned a Bull Dog, Ocoee, Viper 12, Super Fly and a Prelude. I think the most similar handling boat might be a Viper 11. If you want plastic, try a Fly. It is shorter and slower than your Bull Dog but has the chines we like.
RobertM
Pain Boater

Post by RobertM »

Thanks for the replies, I hope to be able to try some boats at ALF.

cheajack, I'm familiar with the CUfly and the Spanish Fly, but I'm drawing a blank on the Super Fly. Was/is it an upsized Spanish Fly, or something completely different?
Robert

"One Fish, Two Fish
Red Fish, Blue Fish"
SkeeterGuy86
Select Paddles Sponsored Paddler

Post by SkeeterGuy86 »

SuperFly was a completely different boat.... it was designed before the Spanish Fly, I think.... Eli Helbert or Craig might be able to chime in with a bit more information
SG86

here in the south east god paddles on the left and that's how he made our rivers ~ oc1paddlr

http://select-kayaks.com/en/paddles/canoe-raft/c1/
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

SkeeterGuy86 wrote:SuperFly was a completely different boat.... it was designed before the Spanish Fly, I think.... Eli Helbert or Craig might be able to chime in with a bit more information
SuperFly was the original Frankie design. SpanishFly was a tweaked design by Frankie for the World's for Rodeo which were held in Spain that year. That's what I understood.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles