Re-Outfitting an old Caper

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

golder
CBoats Addict

Re-Outfitting an old Caper

Post by golder »

Hola Amigos Aquaticos,

I'm about to re-outfit an old Dagger Caper that has been sitting around collecting dust. It's got a saddle in it now, but the folks I'll be outfitting it for want it set up for tandem with seats as they will mostly use it on Class I-II around down on the French Broad, maybe it will make its way back to the Nantahala at some point....The boat is in really good shape actually, but isn't getting any use in its current set up, so I'm hoping to get it, and it's owners back on the water in some capacity.

I've got the seats and hardware here and ready to go. Here's my question:
-Is there any sort of rule or ratio to follow when setting up a tandem boat with webbing seats?
or
-Does anyone have any suggestions for spacing the seats from each other or from the ends?
-Any thoughts about a similarly sized boat (the caper is 14'4") that I can use to steal the spacing from?

Thanks y'all, any input would be much appreciated.
-golder
clarion
C Guru

Re: Re-Outfitting an old Caper

Post by clarion »

If you want 60" end bags and figure the space they fill up, then see how much knee room the bow paddler needs and how much foot room the stern paddler needs, there's not a whole lot of space remaining. The biggest decisions are already made for you. After that you might tweek the stern position forward to account lighter bow paddlers.
It AIN'T bent.
golder
CBoats Addict

Post by golder »

I'm pretty sure they will be using the boat for flatwater mostly and I think they would rather have the space left open than have it taken up by bags/lacing. So I was planning to outfit more like a flatwater boat would be, with the seats more towards the ends than you'd find in a whitewater boat.

That is a good point you present though, maybe I should check with them and see if they want to have room for airbags in it...but I doubt they will be interested in it.

Thanks for the input!
Atucky
CBoats Addict

Post by Atucky »

Hey Golder,

Our Caper has a solo saddle in the middle, and two "kneeling thwarts".

It's a great whitewater fishing boat.

Good luck, it's at Sals house, let me know if you want to look at it.
Adam Trunnell
golder
CBoats Addict

Post by golder »

Thanks Adam!

any chance of getting measurements on those kneeling thwarts?