traveling with airbags...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Einar
CBoats Addict

I take them out...

Post by Einar »

I take them out and store them in a cheap large cotton bag along with the pump and a spare flotation bag. Some of my vogaeur bags are getting old and patchy and taking them out keeps them in the game. A day drive of 1.5 hrs is average for me but longer 7-12 hour drives aren't uncommon over several mountain passes. It only takes few seconds to clip them in with $1.50 biners and inflate.

Another paddler tipped me to: spread some Shoe Goo around the base of the inflation tube when you buy the new bag to strengthen the joint. Then contact cement an inepensive D ring onto the bag to hold the inflation tube and stop it from flapping in the hiway wind.

I've also lost a few Large Valve flaps on old bags from wear and tear so i tied a piece of cord to the d ring (or tube) and threaded a small washer on the other end and tied a keeper knot. Then buried the washer in a shoe goo'ed valve cap. take a small tube of seam seal for pin leaks.

It's not that I love floatation bags, mine are ratty and repaired. it's just a pizz off to be standing on the bank with everyone looking at you while you try and fake a repair or worse; do the tourist, pay for the gas and not play.
Attachments
P1010059.jpg
Last edited by Einar on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
Paddle Power
C Maven

Re: traveling with airbags...

Post by Paddle Power »

Great tip:
glue a D ring onto the bag to hold the inflation tube and stop it from flapping in the hiway wind.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oc ender
C Guru

Post by oc ender »

Look at you go Einar.... another innovative move!

Thanks...
That wasn't carnage,watch this...
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Most of my bags have a grommet in the middle near the inflation tube (between the corners) - I took some small diameter shock cord and a cord-lock to make a tether to keep the tube from flapping in the wind. I've done the goop-preventive-reinforcement, too.