transporting a wildwater C-1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

transporting a wildwater C-1

Post by Mike W. »

OK, I've got a guy holding a wildwater C-1 for me :P Coming from a non-wildwater background, this hull shape is pretty strange :-? It almost looks like an upside down j-boat.

This may be a goofy question, but what's the best way to put it on the rack? I've got the option of having crossbars 6' apart or about 9' apart. I do not have stackers. I'm guessing use the 6' spacing on the crossbars & put the boat bottom upwards with the wing close to the rear crossbar.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Carefully:)

Post by Sir Adam »

I usually put the deck down so I don't deform the hull too much, but that's because I have the "pototo chip" variety race hull :lol: . And it's an old, stale chip.... Still works though!

Good luck...and have fun. One word of advice- you want a pedestal (new school) in it, not a thwart (old school). It took me boating at the nationals this year to figure that out :roll: .
Keep the C!
Adam
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Thanks for the tips. I know that I don't want a thwart. I got in one of KNeal's boats with a thwart. Super comfy, but I had trouble getting out. Good thing I was on the floor of his garage & not bouncing my head along the bottom of Hollywood :o
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

kneeling thwart defense

Post by KNeal »

Now, there is no reason to defend the use of kneeling thwarts--but I'm gonna ANYWAY :wink: . Mike W. pointed out probably the best feature of the kneeling thwart, which is comfort. You put less pressure on the knees, and as long as you have some sort of foam pedestal underneath it, you can pad your butt as well. I've installed kneeling thwarts in all my composite c-1's (including the Viper) and I have MUCH better control of the boats and can get the boats to perform much better. Try it on the water sometime. You just might be pleasantly surprised. As far as swimming out of the boats, I kinda work on having a successful roll. Just ask Mike W. et al. who saw me low bracing through Hollywood rapid on the James River while bobbing along in Mike W's VERY low cut (aka "master cut") Acrobat :oops: .

Mike, now that you're acquiring a wildwater c-2, you have just GOT to get together with me so we can paddle it :P .

It's great to see the various designs of c-boats still out on the rivers. By the way, the pic of RBailey and partner going through Pillow Rock in their wildwater c-2 is the very BALLSIEST thing ANYONE could do in a c-boat (everybody is welcome to come up with a ballsier situation :wink: ).

KNeal
PAC guestee

FYI....

Post by PAC guestee »

Mike
On KNeal's C2 offer.....
Mike, now that you're acquiring a wildwater c-2, you have just GOT to get together with me so we can paddle it .
Be afraid, be very affraid! Voice of experience! :wink:
Just be the stern guy and you'll be ok! 8) Just kidding Neal!

PS: Nice updates Adam!
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Outfit your boat as you see fit. I was scared of lap-belts, but just put my 1st one in my BIg EZ. I really like it, but it will take an extra second to get out if (when) I swim. I have a pretty bombproof roll, but we are all just between swims. If I break (or drop :roll: ) my paddle I cannot hand roll & will swim.

Kneal, the Acrobat is only :wink: 1/2" cut, not master. I'd like to try a master cut before I fix the stern. It may be worth cutting the boat down :wink: That said, you had the longest low brace that I've ever seen! I know that I'm not good enough (yet) to take the Acro through Hollywood :o I think we were all impressed with your performance at the pre-armada.

Oh, the wildwater boat that I'm getting is only a C-1. I checked on a C-2, but potential partners have either not responded or said that there would be swimming involved :wink:
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

What color is this boat you've come up with Mike? Is it by any chance a dark green? Just wondering if it might be the one I passed up a couple of years ago...

Re: kneeling thwarts - not for me, at least not on whitewater. If you do use one, make sure there is a solid pedestal underneath it. A local paddler was involved in an entrapment on the Ocoee in an open boat with a kneeling thwart - the boat partially wrapped over a submerged rock and the thwart collapsed over his ankles. He had to be cut out. Luckily he was above water and suffered only bruises/gouges. Altogether to claustrophobic for me in a decked boat! Big feet don't help, either...

I really liked the tractor seat I saw in one of Bob Putnam's boats - it was hinged from near the rear of the cockpit rim - nice and secure while seated, but cleanly out of the way for egress. Wish I'd taken a picture...

Scott

ps - yes, Kneal did have an impressive and lengthy low brace through Hollywood...
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Hee hee hee! Paul ain't EVER gonna forget the whacking on the back he had to put up with while paddling down the Lower Yough Loop with me in the stern :lol: ! Remember, Paul, it was only instructions I was giving :wink: . I'm just itching to paddle bow in a c-2 sometime. Could be payback time. Any takers? 8)

And, well... ...as far as the low brace in Hollywood is concerned, I want to thank you guys for quickly remembering that little run of mine :oops: . I know that rapid VERY well (on top AS WELL as underneath :o ).

Mike, the c-1 will be real awesome for you. It'll be a whole new world of learning how to stay upright. And that is just in flatwater! Definitely drop me a line or call (I'll also do the same) when you are getting the boat out on the water. So, the Acrobat was only a 1/2 cut? Hmmm. At our weight, I think we ought to rename the size cut as the "wafer" cut (pretty slim volume at our weight :wink: ). I hope you are growing better with the boat.

KNeal
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I don't know what color it is. I just want to race & the price was right. If I were having one built it would have a whole bunch of red metalflake in it :P Red boats are faster aren't they? Even if they're not, they look good :D

I too, liked Bob Putnam's seat. Hey Bob, post some photos of that set up. Please :)

Soooo are you saying that the wildwater boat will be tippier than the Acrobat? I'm just asking because I've never been in one & have no clue.

I'm getting much better with the Acro. I was on the Roanoke one night when they released :o Being able to see the rapids is way over-rated :wink: Darkness helps you feel the boat better. I've learned that really low volume ends can be your freind too. When you're about to flip, just stuff an end under. The boat stabilizes & it looks like you meant to do the trick :P I'm ready to do the Appomattox at 5' in it. I've heard rumors of folks getting mysteries at the take-out on the App. Is this true? Wanna try?
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

I typically tie my WW boat (k-1) down on the side of the hull, against the stackers. the boat isn't completely on edge, but sitting with one side of the V against the bar, and the other side against the stackers.

Since I'm now getting into c-boating (playboating), I figure I might as well try WWC1 as well. Does anyone have a line on anymore used boats for sale? or alternatively, I'd be willing to try WWC2 if there's anyone in the Mid-Atlantic area that would be willing to try it with me....

Jeremy