shaping minicell...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

mahyongg
C Guru

Re: shaping minicell...

Post by mahyongg »

My Arsenal so far is
- a (cheap but good) straight kitchen knife, about 25cm long.. kept sharp
- 80 grit sandpaper spray glued on paper tube
- wood rasp (half-round)
- jap. pullsaw (not sooo good.. it sticks ion the foam more than the narrower knife and doesnt cut much faster)
- jigsaw
- angle grinder with 80 grit (ok.. but fast cutting and can get ripped out of your hands!)
- angle grinder with wire brush (rips away the foam like nothing, but even more dangerous if it gets out of hand.. take care to have a rock solid mounted foam piece AND plant your arms/elbows plus use the right protective wear! Nice to shape thigh hooks tho)
- assorted utility knifes (wide and narrow blade)
- hole saw (good to punch holes through saddles, or dowel holes on top)
- plunge router (perfect cut if you prepare well, meaning: paper tape to keep it sliding on the foam, guide rails to keep it straight, with stops, all mounted solidly) - perfect for yakima rail cutouts and similar things
- some shurform knockoff..
- regular sandpaper on either a foam block or my sander

I like to cut more than to rasp / sand away, that's just for surface prep afterwards.

Built 4 bulkheads so far, outfitted even more boats.. it all works. I wish I had a reciprocating saw, the ones where the blade goes straight out of the motor housing.. they make smaller ones now, that you could actually use on a built-in saddle.
jakke
CBoats Addict

Re: shaping minicell...

Post by jakke »

mahyongg wrote:I wish I had a reciprocating saw, the ones where the blade goes straight out of the motor housing.. they make smaller ones now, that you could actually use on a built-in saddle.
I had a bad buy with a Black-and-Decker scorpion, it doesn't take regular reciprocating saw blades. I'm now looking into a Bosch(blue) or Metabo reciprocating saw on battery. And they do have 300mm long blades. Sounds like a perfect foam-cutting machine to me! And ways better and more versatile then the Bosch-foam-cutter that you see quite often...