Question of Length

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

mahyongg
C Guru

Re: Question of Length

Post by mahyongg »

The only short boat that doesn't fit the Category you're looking into regarding Speed would be the ION, although you'd still fit into it lenght- and weight-wise.
I (at 185 LBs and 1,90m) love my Spark ("too heavy for the boat", I am, lots of people said.. not the effin case if I have fun paddling it, or is it=?) and my Option. And my Spanish Fly. And my Big Dog Force.

You know.. it's not the length, it's the circumference that counts.. err.. no, it's what you DO with it.
Oh and yes, I can paddle my spark standing up or sitting on the saddle top or backwards leaning on the bulkhead front.. comfy.

I would go with the last recommendation. Paddle all of these boats you're thinking about - especially the ones you think won't ever fit you and your paddling styles. You might be surprised..

Cheerio,

Jan
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

As someone who has been a short boat guy from the beginning I really like short boats. I do now have a beater Outrage that I enjoy paddling sometimes but it does feel large when trying to use tight river features to move around.

As has been said before, at your size and weight you can choose from any of the current short canoe designs and still be well within their capacity. For the Octane 91 the weight capacity is almost moot, as a tandem (Octane 92 - same hull, different outfitting) it routinely gets run with 400lbs (+) with no trouble.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
road_warrior64
C Boater

Post by road_warrior64 »

Wow! I wish there was a "like" button for all of the great replies. It sounds like a small boat is in my future. Now I just need some advice on how to convince the finance committee (i.e. my wife) that I need a third boat!

JC
road_warrior64
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

You only have two boats?! Good grief man, you need a boat infusion *stat*!!
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

I'm getting the shakes just thinking about having only two boats :o
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
Dave.E
C Guru

Post by Dave.E »

arhdc wrote:I'm getting the shakes just thinking about having only two boats :o
I only have one :o

I also have a C1 but I only really use that bad boy for park and play.
https://vimeo.com/user32086287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;