Phantom Shape

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Jon
C Guru

Phantom Shape

Post by Jon »

I saw an Ocoee that had been drastically altered -- asymetrical and pulled in a lot with the front thwart - not sure of the rear thwart, and the ends cut down 1.5". Claimed benefits were faster (rounded hull forward, longer waterline), easier to put in a vertical forward stroke (narrower - looked kind of like an Outrage from the top), and more stable feeling (presumabaly because you don't have to lean out so far to get the paddle vertical).

Any comments re changing the shape of a Phantom? Longer or shorter thwarts, making it asymetrical?

Thanks
Jon
Steward

Post by Steward »

Hi Jon

Actually the reason for cutting down the ends 1.5", is to push the effect of pulling the thwarts in to the chine, making it harder. The altered Ocoee is faster and more responsive, but you are giving up stability. It has less initial stability then a Zoom but you do get the benifits of a more edgy boat.

I haven't seen an altered Phantom, and I expect there are reasons there are fewer people experimenting, but
I'd email someone like Andrew and ask your question about the Phamtom. Each change has a different effect and he would be a good starting point to explain these