Probe 12 vs Ovation for beginner

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

photocodo
c

Probe 12 vs Ovation for beginner

Post by photocodo »

I am just starting out and looking for an OC1. I have two options for boats right now and am wondering what people recommend as a good beginner boat.
The first is a Probe 12 for $100. It has two float bags one of which will have to be patched or replaced. The guy also said that it has no leaks but may have one or two small soft spots. He said he hasnt paddled it in a few years so he isnt positive.
The second is an Ovation for $450. It has a saddle but no float bags but is in better shape than the probe. No patches or soft spots.

I have read good and bad things about both boats but I wanted some advice from people who paddle or have paddled these boats a lot.

Thanks,

Cody
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Re: Probe 12 vs Ovation for beginner

Post by pblanc »

Either model would serve pretty well as a beginner OC-1. In terms of design, I would give the nod to the Probe 12 myself. It is not generally difficult to patch floatation bags unless a seam is blown out.

As for the "soft spots" if they are not too extensive and you are handy, you could repair and reinforce them for $100 or less.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I think I would go for the Ovation, based on condition. You might not want to be learning to paddle the Probe and repair it at the same time. Maybe you'd get a few more seasons out of the Ovation.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I'd go for the Ovation. Shorter, nimbler boat. Great boat to learn surfing. Very forgiving. You don't say how tall you are or how much you weigh. These factors can affect boat choice. Ovation is probably best for someone 150 to 215 pounds. Probe would work better if you're bigger than that. The Ovation is the boat I learned to paddle with and I still keep mine around for lending to beginners.
col. mustard
C Boater

Post by col. mustard »

I'm 6'2", 225lbs, I started in the ovation and it served me well until I started learning and developing my technique and the I found it to be very slow, and sluggish, borrowed a friends probe 12 ll and it seemed to be a bit quicker but it may have just been a more appropriate boat for my size but I found it to be an easier boat to improve my skills in. But for beginning you won't go wrong with either. If you've got the cash just get both.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I'd buy 'em both at that price: buy the Ovation for the canoe, buy the Probe for the airbags!

Having both will give the most gear for a good value, an idea of the different hulls, and you can have one on the water while you're learning how to repair the other!!

P.
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

col. mustard wrote:I'm 6'2", 225lbs, I started in the ovation and it served me well until I started learning and developing my technique and the I found it to be very slow, and sluggish, borrowed a friends probe 12 ll and it seemed to be a bit quicker but it may have just been a more appropriate boat for my size but I found it to be an easier boat to improve my skills in. But for beginning you won't go wrong with either. If you've got the cash just get both.
I'll point out that the Probe 12II is a different boat (shorter) than the original Probe 12, but I agree with you. I am around 180 lbs. I have not owned either the Ovation or the Probe 12 but have paddled both some and have paddled the Viper 12 extensively (Mohawk considers the Probe to be a somewhat "detuned" Viper).

The Ovation might possibly spin quicker than the Probe but in my experience the Probe is considerably faster. Both boats are pretty forgiving.
photocodo
c

Post by photocodo »

Thanks for all the help. I am about 6ft 3in and weigh about 235 (big boy, I know). I have the cash for the probe right now but I also have a mountain bike I am trying to sell and hopefully get 800-1000 for it. If that happens I may upgrade to something else after I start to feel comfortable on the water.
Hank
c

Post by Hank »

IMHO: The Probe 12 responds well to pulling in, ie. shortening the thwarts. Try 1.5 or 2". You might want to do this after you have paddled it for awhile.
I also agree that you ought to buy both; you can have too few, but never too many boats.
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

I'd be suspect of any boat being sold for $100. The condition is likely very poor and you may spend more time mending it than paddling it.

The Ovation was my first boat. It has a bit of a reputation as a poor performer but I found it to be a friendly boat for beginners, and every bit as good as the Probe
Randy Dodson
C Guru

Post by Randy Dodson »

I started in a Probe 12 II and went from that to an Ovation. I liked the Ovation way better and think it gets a bad wrap.

I know everybody complained about it being slow back in the day. But if you think about it, it's faster than most of the boats you see on the water these days.
Parrot Head Paddler
Randy Dodson
C Guru

Post by Randy Dodson »

One other thing, if the Ovation is the red wood gunnel'd one in Asheville, I'd buy it. If the pics are any indication, it looks to be in fantastic condition. I'd buy it for my wife if I had the cash available, (she loves Ovations). Good luck
Parrot Head Paddler