Kaz.... technique and stroke?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

kaz

Post by kaz »

Jan - sorrybutnocando.
Jon - yes, but hip blocks in a C-1 are a good idea too. They just require a more elaborate set up.
Alden - I have been the spearee but never the spearer. Well maybe once.
Jon
C Guru

Hip Blocks

Post by Jon »

Kaz:
Sorry to be so thick, and I do appreciate the value of a snug fit in a K1 or C1, but are you really suggesting that I put about 5.5 inches of foam on either side of my hips in my Phantom? (I've got Mike Yee outfitting.) Interesting.

Jon
kaz

Post by kaz »

Jon, try it. Duct tape them in temporarily to see if you like them. I have a hunch you will.
JKaz
Jan_dettmer
CBoats Addict

Post by Jan_dettmer »

I use hipblocks in C1 AND in OC1. They make a big difference.

Also, its a good idea to put foam into the sides of the boat. That makes the boat a lot drier when rolling. I then glue hip-pads to the foam that I put into the sides of the boat.

It gives way better edge control.

Jan
Is there something like an expert kayaker?
http://www.bc-ww.com
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

2 lincolns on OC1 hip pads... if you run wet and get in and out a lot it may inhibit ingress/egress. If you are a constant swimmer...not the safest IMO. Boat control is definately aided with them.

I have set up my last half dozen boats with bulkheads and feel that they connect you with the boat extremely well when done properly.
It's all opinion.........
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Another vote for hip pads - I've got them in most of my C-1s, the ones that don't have them need them. I haven't had them in my open boats, though. But then again, in my OC-1 at least, I had double thigh straps and footpegs that have made for a pretty secure fit. I've seen them in boats with paddling/kneeling thwarts glued to the thwart. In a boat with a pedestal, I'm imagining you just glue blocks to the sides of the hull under the gunwales?
greytowel

Post by greytowel »

I experimented attaching the hip blocks to the sidewalls on my prelude with VELCRO if your a constant swimmer maybe attach cord to blocks saves losing them.
NEOC Slalom Rules
C Guru

Post by NEOC Slalom Rules »

Mais oui, mon ami. That was my only beef trying out Jacques "Spark". I felt naked without em. Now John on the other hand put a perfectly cut pair in my Ignitor. I only had to eat three times a day at McD's for two years to get them to fit perfectly. Then I had a heart attack and had to lose 30 lb and add 3/4" foam to each one. Yeah, they really improve your control and help keep your lower weight centered so the only fun left is the water sloshing from side to side in your boat. And your leans are all from the waist up. It keeps that fat ...ss out of the instability equation. Alot of racers before used butt thwarts (instead of a pedestal) with right angled bracing to keep your hips centered but using hip locks mounted just below the gunnels is way superior.
Pat
Open Boat/Open Mind
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

I put together a couple video clips of Kaz: 2002 and 2003 Nationals, in his Medium boat.
http://www.wwslalom.org/paddling/kaz.rm

Remember - that's a 15' boat...

I actually caught him in a rare touch! :o
Bob P
racer x

boatin

Post by racer x »

man, those open boats spin so well. just watching that takes me back to the feeling of racing John's old Ignitor . . . Man that is a great boat. Hip pads, by the way, are GREAT. I LOVE paddling those light, fast open boats, and especially mixing them with C-1. It really sets off C-1 nicely - the open boats are lighter and spin faster, but then you get in C-1 and you feel like it's an absolute impossibility to touch a gate.

I paddled an Outrage last year and it felt like driving a dump truck. Glass open boats are a whole different world. I remember at Fiddlehead two years ago I hit like 19 gates with my stern and was dead last, but there was one pourover that everyone else tip-toed around. I was the first guy down the course with the number 1 bib and fired up like the best boof of my life over the hole. Bill Lowman came up to me after with this priceless look on his face. Those rounded up bows just CRAVE air, man! They feel light as a feather. That was definitely a boating highlight.

(I have, surprisingly, not been paid by Millbrook boats or even the Kaz for President of Cboats campaign)
Alden
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

I actually have footage of Kaz missing a gate at this years nat's.(2004) He did however paddle back upstream (impressively) and get the gate. Unfortunately I don't think I can put it on the net, but it might just pop up someday. :)
Kaz

Post by Kaz »

I have a video of that too. And photos. Folks wasted no time getting the "evidence" to me. The wind blew me off course during that big ferry move. Luckily my first run held up.
The one thing I love about slalom racing is how well it transfers to river running. A slalom course forces me to do moves that I might not normally do on the river. Then while river running, If I find myself in a sticky situation, I say to myself "where have I seen this before?", because it's a move similar to what I had done at a previous race. When I think in those terms I can usually get through the current situation comfortably. Well, most of the time anyway. Does that make sense? Just babbling.
Jim
C Guru

AB

Post by Jim »

AB

Loved the link to the Olympic videos. Note the difference in shoulder movement between Estanguet and Martikan. Martikan has more flexibility (if I recall correctly, I watched these a few days ago and do not have time to look now) and you see that in some of the moves. Estanguet's technique is different, and part of that is probably due to his anatomy. Summary- a paddler must work within the limits of their anatomy, such as shoulder flexibility. Range of motion is important, but not if it decreases joint stability. Just note Estanguet's success within his available motion (yeah, the technique is INCREDIBLE too).
Jim
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Talking about those videos from the Olympics, does anyone know which gate cost Martikan the gold medal?
I watched his run several times, but I could not see the touch, as far as I can tell, none of the poles was moving.
Did he get robbed there or was there really a touch.

My favorite move on those vids is the swwet pivot turn the Hochschorner brothers pull off in gate 12, that looked cool :o !!

martin
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
racer x

boatin

Post by racer x »

Martikan officially touched gate 7. The first time I was watching the videos, I had forgotten which gate he touched, but I saw him brush gate 7. I thought that it was a touch at the bottom of the course. I was thinking, "Man, he touched that gate!" But now when I go back and look at it, I don't see it. A little strange. That French guy Fabian who was favored to win (and got third) touched the first gate! How about that!

Jim, yes, you can see Martikan put his top hand BEHIND his head when he does a big pivot. Lots of guys do that (Devin McEwan, Trevor Solieau) all the time - even just messing around. I mean, my shoulder lets me get there, but it just doesn't feel like the technique for me.

Alden