Choosing a boat?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

mahyongg
C Guru

Re: Choosing a boat?

Post by mahyongg »

Ian,

owning an Option and having an Octane 85 to paddle, I think I can add some points as well. I am about 200 pounds fully dressed, so in your weight range. I feel very good in the Octane 85. I would even go so far to call it nimble - I can throw the bow around just like I want, despite the Edges on it (you may like them a lot, given your kayak experience :D) it is a very manouverable boat for me. Engaging them makes it easy to carve, snap into eddies and use the current to accelerate out of them, or ferry high. Don't be fooled by the appearance, it's faster than both the Option or L'edge, and it has longer Edges than an Ocoee, but they're more comparable to the Edges on a Spanish Fly. It also boofs and surfs like a champ. Carving is not induced by paddle strokes, but by thoughts in that boat.

The Octane 85 has the most "combat"-controllable and predictable stability of any solo boat I have ever paddled, maybe except for the Ion. That makes it a very confidence-inspiring boat. It is also super-easy to roll, again only trumped by the Ion or maybe the Prelude. Yes it rolls easier than a Spanish Fly. And it's really lightweight.

Now the Option, on the other hand, is a thoroughbred creeker. It has everything a creeker should have - it's easy to control and does what it's supposed to do, it helps you focus on the task at hand and doesn't get excited over little mistakes. It's not super-quick on the top end due to large wetted surface area, but it accelerates well (and better than the L'Edge, much better) and it carves precisely, it lands a boof and it is a charm on rocks. It is a very friendly boat and even more forgiving, due to its Edges being less exxagerated, than the Octane 85. The Edges don't hang up as easily as the Octane 85's if you rockspin or -slide it. In true creeker fashion, the voluminous bow and stern keep it dry and it's upsweep added with the latest modifications on the shape even more so.

Oh, btw. IDK if any of the boats up in BC now are of the new series (Rick?) but since Jeremy uses aluminum molds for '85 and Option now, the blackfly boats come out in a similar, if not better build quality than the L'Edges.

Both are as dry as it gets nowadays, so especially good for paddling with kayakers (btw. I don't like to wait for them getting in and out of their boats fixing sprayskirts and all that.. it's such a PITA when you scout a lot.. :D ).

Now, if I where you and would do mostly river running on the Chilli, I'd say the Option will be loads of fun, stable and forgiving. If you like to drop a knee and charge carving, then stop dead dropping your low edge into an eddy, the Octane 85 is the ticket. Now, the Option would be a safe bet and you might be able to test Rick's on the Island, which is sure worth it. I have met no one who was disappointed with the boat, not any of the people who bought one blind, or one of the many who switched from L'Edges and other boats. Plus they don't crack, or wear out fast, as other boats have been known to do... I mean of course anything can break, but it's not even remotely likely.
If you're feeling like you may want an EDGY boat, and are not afraid to experiment just a bit more, the Octane 85 may be it. In any case, I bet you'd get rid of both very quick if you'd feel that thy are not for you - but really, that never happens ;D

Now, if you're interested in what was brought up regarding laminate boats, check out the Millbrook Shacho, which is Kaz' latest design and receives rave reviews by everyone who got one. Quick, Dry, Lightweight, of course you can't have the same kind of fun with rocks that you can in a PE boat, but it sure is a great thing to have. I'm seriously considering exchanging my Spark for one in the future.. although I'm not paddling that any more since I got the Option.

Hope I could share my enthusiasm for these super fun boats, which probably shines through a bit. And yeah.. I'm not paid for that... just wanting people to enjoy boating!

Oh btw. the Octane 91 is a tank, you can paddle it for sure with your weight, but as you said.. dropping an edge will be hard for you alone in that boat. And the Octane 85 is definitely stable enough ;D

Cheers!

Jan
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

There are some l'edge paddlers who have tried the option and went back their l'edges. While we re being anecdotal, everyone I know who switched from l'edges to options were unfortunate enough to have broken boats early on…. some of which felt they were subsequently mishandled by Esquif (sigh).

The l'edge is an awesome boat for larger paddlers- the work that went into that design really shows… but they have history of durability issues and you can miss half a paddling season waiting for a replacement hull.

Ps. I m a light l'edge paddler who is desperately trying to like my option.
JimW
C Guru

Post by JimW »

I saw Tim's Octane 92 yesterday, it is huge! I can't imagine it fitted out solo as a 91, I seriously doubt my 220lbs would be enough to engage an edge....
Yet to see an Octane 85 but shorter, narrower but otherwise similar it will almost certainly be a better bet for anyone less than 7' or 300lbs that wants a flat bottomed hard edged play boat!

Now, if I move on from the Ocoee, do I go for a playboat or a creeker.....? :)
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Ian,

What did you buy and how's it going with the practice?

FYI, over on the local forum, some here in Vancouver are looking at doing a group buy from Blackfly.

Given the reviews here, and having sat in an Octane 91, I was surprised to see in Blackfly's specs that the weight range for the Option (220 lbs) is higher than the range for the Octane 85 (190 lbs). My impression was that the Octane 85 would be a drier, more stable boat for big guys, but maybe not?

Seems to me the L'Edge Lite and the tank of an Octane 91 are the only new offers for those upwards of 210 lbs.

FYI, for whatever specs matter, the Option is 3.5" longer (tip-to-tip, not sure about hull area), the 85 is .25" wider. Depth is listed as the same, but Option appears to sweep up a little more. Those Octane sterns sure are funny looking - they look ready to take an outboard!

Keep us in the loop on the local PaddleNet Ian, and come check out the Lower Seymour sometime.

Cheers, Pat.