Lost my Roll

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

RobertM
Pain Boater

Re: Lost my Roll

Post by RobertM »

When my roll goes away, which it does with annoying frequency, it's generally either because I'm not keeping my head down or because I'm forgetting to pull up my onside knee/snap my hip. Basically trying to roll with my arms alone.

Also, a big thumbs up for the Philip Prince videos.
Robert

"One Fish, Two Fish
Red Fish, Blue Fish"
mahyongg
C Guru

Post by mahyongg »

A piece of advice I found most helpful in addition to all the others above was to keep my shaft hand on the forehead - this way, you really press down on your paddle only with an upper body motion, but you don't focus on pressing down with your arms. Saves shoulders and your roll. Don't even take the hand off your forehead, swing your forehead off the paddle when you bring it over your upright boat.
Hope that helps.. and good luck!

Jan
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

What's a bomber pool roll?

Usually when people lose their roll it is because they re not using their lower body or because they re rushing. The canoe roll has two parts that happen in quick succession but are distinct- 1. Right the boat with your hips/abs/legs 2. sweep your body into the boat.

Lastly, if you don't practice a lot, at least initially, your roll will never be more than an inconsistent party trick.
JimW
C Guru

Post by JimW »

First real river roll on Friday, half out of the outfitting and had to wriggle back in after second attempt.
Saturday, completely missed, Sunday, completely missed twice including failed low braces just before falling in.
Saturday morning I fitted a bulkhead to hold my knees down, at some point Sunday afternoon pondering what had gone wrong I noticed I couldn't get low on the front deck any more - PFD pocket bouncing off the new bulkhead/thwart.
By jiggling the straps around so the main body of the PFD sits lower and the pocket higher reducing the profile of it (check out the adjustments on Astral Green Jacket or Sea Wolf to understand what I mean - it's impossible to really explain!) I think I able to get low enough now - I didn't capsize again to fine out. I probably will tonight though :)