Dragorossi Fish conversion question

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Edl

Dragorossi Fish conversion question

Post by Edl »

Hey all, this is going to be my first conversion. I have the fish which I rarely paddle any more and I have been wanting to try c1 for a while. Now's the time! I'm wondering if anyone has some insight as to how tall the saddle should be? Also a ballpark estimate of how far from the back edge of the cockpit I should start from. I am 5'8" and weigh about 135 pounds. Any advice about converting this specific boat is welcome and thank you!
Wodza
C Guru

Re: Dragorossi Fish conversion question

Post by Wodza »

I don't have any advice for you as I just finished my first conversion about an hour ago. But in researching my WS Score conversion I came across these pictures which may help for reference.

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... 10&t=68438" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, I did a fence rail conversion and it worked really well.
GSG
Pain Boater

Post by GSG »

In all the conversions I've tried 6" is about as high as I'd go. Lowest I've tried is 4.5", crazy stable but torture.
Edl

Post by Edl »

Wodza, thank you for the link. It looks like the seat height is pretty low in that conversion, this definitely gives me an idea of how tall my seat should be and also how far forward. I once put a 1 inch foam seat pad in while kayaking and there was a pretty big difference in stability. GSG, I can imagine that a 6 inch tall saddle would be real unstable in this boat after looking at the pictures Wodza linked and comparing them to my boat with 6 inches of minicell laying in the bottom. I think I'm going to lean more towards the torture side and try 5 inches.
Wodza, I'd love to see a few pictures of your Score. I know you just finished it (congratulations!). I can imagine it took a lot of work. I know mine will.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

In general for a C1, 6 inches is a good starting point for seat height.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wodza
C Guru

Post by Wodza »

Here are the pics:

http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/hollywodz/library/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I went with Velcro to put the saddle in position so I can fine tune the trim once I get it on the water. Hopefully it is not too far off so I don't have to redrill the holes for the thigh straps and tear out the knee pads. It may not have needed the metal strapping but I had it laying around so I used it.