Concrete canoe team needs help choosing paddles...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

DP

Concrete canoe team needs help choosing paddles...

Post by DP »

One of our local (new)paddlers is an engineering student. He is involved with a project that is a competition to build then race concrete canoes.

Now for his question"

The UK concrete canoe team is looking for some paddles for the annual concrete canoe competion held every spring. We will be paddling a canoe with a four person team. The only regulations are that the paddle must have only one blade and be powered by only one person. I don't know much about canoe paddles but if anyone can give any technical insight it would be appreciated (length? blade area? companies? what paddles are better for stronger or weaker paddlers?...). We do have a limited budget but we'd like to get some nice paddles for us and future teams. We are also looking for any kind of sponsors who might want to donate to the cause or discount the price of paddles in exchange for their name and logo on the t-shirts (sorry, no logos allowed on the boat). Any ideas other than Phillip Galls and Canoe KY (they are already being contacted)? Any help is appreciated. you can respond to the forum or email me directly at waveydavey00@hotmail.com Keep in mind this is flatwater competition.
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Mitchell makes awesome paddles.
http://www.mitchellpaddles.com

For the lightest canoe paddles check out Zaveral Racing Equipment. http://www.zre.com/zrepaddles/
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

For more paddle information that you probably want:
http://cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php?t=3463
Bob P
bearboater
CBoats Addict

concrete paddles

Post by bearboater »

with a little extra weight training, you should be able to lift a concrete paddle, little bit of spare material, and make a form... and remember things seem lighter in water(at least if both paddler and paddle are submerged.) it wouldnt win you the race, but it would win you a) a front page of a paper,
b) bulging muscles or c) respect. likely all three. my vote concrete.

-isaac
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

You might consider these factors :

The voyageurs of old used long skinny, "beaver tail" paddles to move their heavy pelt laden craft - I'd think this is akin to a lower gear

Flatwater marathon and outrigger racers today use bent shaft paddles, this would matter more if there is some length to the course.

You might want paddles made of an abrasion resistant material, if your paddles will rub along the boat.

If you are on a budget (your college students, of course you are), you might not want to spring for the Mitchell paddles just yet (though you would be styling it up). Try a Mohawk paddle (www.mohawkcanoes.com), they make two blade face sizes (at least) , have bent shafts available, are durable, and are economical.
DP

Post by DP »

That's good. Keep 'em coming.

I like the idea of a concrete paddle. That may earn the students a few extra points, though I'm thinking it would be hard to make the paddles strong and light enough to use.

Remember, these guys are all novice paddlers and this competition will be held on flatwater.
guester

thought....

Post by guester »

Some random thoughts...
Maybe see if you can get a medical, eng. or fab company to donate some Titanium tubing, rod and mesh.
Figure out the design (beaver sounds logical since the applied forces would be across a narrower bladeprint but gives the full face) with the tube as the shaft, rod as cross members and mesh the contact framing. Apply the "water proof" portland and give then give it a thin glass coat!
Maybe test fab with a wood frame to check swing weight and to train with (as model / prototype).
Let us know how it goes.
SlickStick
C Boater

Post by SlickStick »

I use a double dutch carbon canoe blade, its very light and strong and grips the water nicely. I ordered mine from the Peak UK shop in Nottingham.

http://www.kayakstore.net/shop/product_ ... 90be86ea74

That is the link to the paddle, you normally have to attach the blade to the shaft yourself, but if you ask them and are prepared to wait for a couple of weeks, they will construct it for you. They delivered my paddle very quickly (about 2days after ordering it).

Hope that helps a little,

Peter
msims
CBoats Addict

Post by msims »

If they are novice paddlers then perhaps any performance characteristics would be lost in the fact that they would be using the paddle incorrectly.

I'm guessing if you have 4 people in a canoe you actually mean a raft of sorts (or a voyageur-style canoe)... In that case maybe you just need a short stubby paddle similar to dragon boat racing, esp if this is a sprint race - the dragon boats have a team of 12 or 16 and they do short little forward power strokes. (or maybe if dragonboaters used longer curved paddles they'd cream their current times!)
-- Cya

Post by Guest »

I have not seen it yet but I believe it is actually a canoe. The existing canoe is around 21 feet long and weighs nearly 300 pounds. They will practice in this boat until they complete the new boat which is a simular length but is expected to weigh closer to 150 pounds.

As far as experience goes, they will get some coaching from some experienced whitewater boaters. I haven't come across any serious flatwater paddlers around here (KY) yet.

I think half of the call for help is in hopes of some donated paddles or at least a good deal on paddles.

I use a Werner Bandit(I'm only a part time canoer) and it feels very powerful to me as compared to many other paddles I've used. Several of the old school canoers here in Lexington keep telling me to get rid of it. They insist the curved blade is bad and that I need a flat blade. Any thoughts on that?

How about concrete paddles?

Post by Guest »

:D
pevans
C Boater

Post by pevans »

I'm going to play devil's advocate here and suggest Mohawk paddles, especially if they aren't experienced paddlers. They aren't nearly as nice as some of the other paddles mentioned, but they are incredibly strong, will last forever, and can't be beat on price. If you talk to them a bit you can probably get a wholesale price or at least beat their list price. From my dealings with Mohawk they are good people.

Good Luck,
Paul

https://mohawkcanoes.com/paddles.htm