Detonator owners

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

MikeC
c

Detonator owners

Post by MikeC »

Can someone tell me what size bags I need for my new Detonator? I am picking the boat up in a couple weeks but I want to get the bags ordered and the dealer wants a fortune for them so I was going to get some Mohawk bags.

Mike :D
jet7271

detonator bags

Post by jet7271 »

48" fit bow and stern nicely. by the way do you need to modify an open boat roll for planing hull boats, similar to what kayakers have to do for their new hull designs. i was dismayed in a pool session this weekend to find i couldnt roll, when my roll in my old encore was reliable. any ideas or videos? thanx, jon

Thanks

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the reply on the bags.I really cant answer your question on the roll because I dont know how to do it yet.I am a beginner and this is my first WW boat.I have a video I got from the library called Solo Playboating and it really has a lot of good stuff on rolling on it.

Thanks
Mike
yarnellboat

Post by yarnellboat »

Mike,

I know the Det isn't a big boat, but you might want to double-check whether 48" bags are too small. Of course, it depends on your intended use and how much space you want for yourself (and your water), but I'd err on the side of larger bags and get 60" bags.

I have 60" bags in my 12' Outrage and now that I'm more interested in rolling and playing, I kinda wish I had the larger bags.

If you search this and other forums (paddling.net) it seems there were some threads on air bags not long ago.

What size was the dealer recommending? I'd be surprised if Detonators come with 48" bags.

P.
jet7271

detonator air bags

Post by jet7271 »

hey mike, i just went out to the garage and measured my bags, they are acturally 36" in my detonator bow and stern, could've sworn they said 48 but they measure 36". hope this helps . jon
MikeC
c

Thanks

Post by MikeC »

The ones that the dealer was going to order are 42 inches long and Mohawk sells a 48 that is actually 40 when inflated so I guess that would work.
:roll:

Mike
yarnellboat

Post by yarnellboat »

Yeah, I think my '60" bags' fill about 50" of my boat.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Measure them deflated and I'll bet they're closer to the advertised lengths. Get the 60"s and inflate them to fit.
Jan_dettmer
CBoats Addict

Post by Jan_dettmer »

yes, go for 60 inch bags. I have 48 in a Quake. And 60 and 72 in a
ProdigyX, respectively.

Bigger bags fill the boat better and they also sit higher, which helps with dryness A LOT.

Cheers, Jan
Is there something like an expert kayaker?
http://www.bc-ww.com

Post by Guest »

Thanks for all the help

Mike
Alan Greve

Post by Alan Greve »

Mike my wife paddles a Detonator and I had one before I sold it to get the Zoom. We have a 60" in our daughters Rival (who is starting to paddle my Zoom !) :wink:
a 48" in the Detonator
a 36" in my Zoom

I brought the thwarts in on both the Det and the Zoom so I`ve use the bottom side of the thwarts to attach the cage, this gives you a very small cockpit. The bages fill the cage completely !! 60" bags in a Det, is WAY to much bage !!

Al
Sandie_
Pain Boater

Stable

Post by Sandie_ »

Slightly off topic. I'm told Detonators may be comming over to the UK soon. Anyone know how the primary stability compares to the prelude?

The Nitro looks good to me http://www.esquif.com/index.php?mod=modeles&id=17 especially if the paddler in the picture is included, much better than a portage trolly. :wink:

Sandie

p.s. can anyone tell me why there is a little c under my name to the left?
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Detonator is definitely more stable than the Prelude. The one boat from Esquif that is the closest to the Prelude is the Zoom, and even there I think that the Zoom has a little more primary stability.
Still love my Prelude though 8) !
Nitro is a quite big boat, it's in the same class as the Outrage or the Rival, I.M.H.O.

The little c is there because hou have not yet quite enough posts to be a c-boater (25?) or a pain boater (50?) :wink: .

martin
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Sandie_
Pain Boater

Deton

Post by Sandie_ »

I've spent the morning ringing round all the dealers who may be getting a detonator. They are a few months away yet but when they are here im going to be in that queue to try one.

Sandie