Poll-Winter Activities

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

What do you do in winter?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:34 am

Ski? I can boat year round!
67%
Nordic Sprint (Snow-shoe)
No votes
Cross-country (and back-country)
7%
Telemark
20%
Alpine (Down-hill)
7%

Total votes: 15

adamin
CBoats.net Staff

Poll-Winter Activities

Post by adamin »

Greetings...
As some seem to have been wondering, what do you ski on in the winter (if you ski?)
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

thoughts...

Post by PAC »

How about an option for most of the above! :wink:

Nice to see a lot of folks are still boating too! Personally - I have a 100 degree rule (air temp and water temp need to = 100 degrees) that I live by since my hair started thinning and greying!

I guess I just don't enjoy the ice cream head aches any more! AND it keeps the wife happy! 8)

How about the rest of you - and rules for cold weather paddling?
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Jim
C Guru

Why ski?

Post by Jim »

I get a free seasons pass to a small ski area because my wife is an instructor. I have been once all year, and spent the day on the beginner slopes with my 4 year old. Give me a paddle!

My wife cannot believe that I paddle and she skis on the same day. I cannot believe she wants to ski when it is so nice out.
Jim
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

100 degree rule? Yeah, I've heard that. If the combined temp is less than 100 I make sure to have my drysuit & fuzzy rubber helmet liner. Poggies are optional when it's that warm. The coldest I've been out was 19 air / 36 water. I tend to try to keep my head dry on days like that. Unzip your lifejacket as soon as you get our of the boat. It'll be frozen by the time you walk up the hill to the truck :wink: .
SlickStick
C Boater

Post by SlickStick »

Winter is the paddling season here, so i go paddling. Or at least i usually do, this year we are getting so little rain, Hurley is dropping down to 1 gate far too often :cry: :cry: :cry:
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

winter paddling

Post by billcanoes »

I also heard the 100 degree rule. Mid 70's is my lowest, though I stick to class II with a few IIIs at those temps.
I try to get out 2-3x a month all year. One day I hope it will pay off and I'll become an intermediate paddler.
Bill
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

To answer Adam's question about what do we ski on - some of us ski on water year round. Not me, mind you, though knee boarding looks like it would be a natural transition for a c-boater... I'm headed to the river myself in a bit, even though it is colder today (mid 60s vs mid 70s) :lol:
creek1r
Pain Boater

Brrrrrr

Post by creek1r »

I ski or try to teleboard 2 - 3 times a winter when the creeks are dry or froze up. Paddled the Tellico once sub 10 deg F. Have done Bullpasture and Maury (VA) several times in 15 deg range. Dont think I'm up to that any more. 25 or 30 about my limit now.