Telemarkers

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

yarnellboat

Telemarkers

Post by yarnellboat »

As per requested elsewhere...

I too am a tele skier and recognize a bond/overlap between telemarkers and open boaters. Seems we have a few on this site who do both, and for similar reasons: grace if we're lucky, challenge always, being unique, and perhaps keeping us safe from getting stupid on bigger and bigger features (which doesn't really apply to me - I'm "class II-III" on the rivers and mountains).

If there's one bumper sticker that I'd really want:

Free your heel, Open your boat

Pat.
Leo McGarry

boatin

Post by Leo McGarry »

Both sports certainly "give you flexible knees."

I was amazed at how easy it was to pick up telemarking after years of alpine skiing. I used to ski at Mad River in VT, there were often as many telemarkers there as alpine skiers (no boarders there of course), especially on the telefest weekend. They were all really graceful -- not like myself who skis teles mostly like alpine GS skis, occasionally going down for a baffled mock tele-turn. Sure feels a lot like doing squat excercises, but the boots are more comfy than alpine race boots. Not that I would tele over alpine though. I'm maybe a twice a year guy on teles. They sure are nice in powder, but i like the (Eastern skier alert) hard and fast stuff best.
Alden
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

thoughts...

Post by PAC »

The beauty of Tele is that any turn is a good turn - be it Tele, Reverse Tele, Mono-mark, Fake-a-mark, Alpine, etc.
Great work out and generally just plain fun! As with Cing - its ALL about the smile factor! 8)

Tele-ho! :wink:
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Post by CosmikDebris »

Yeah for tele! I've been riding tele for several years, although this year sucks for skiing down here in WNC!
kevin.leroy
c

Post by kevin.leroy »

I’m a little ashamed to admit it, but I get a self-riotous buzz from c-boating amongst kayakers and telemarking amongst alpine skiiers.
Scal
Pain Boater

Post by Scal »

I guess I should mention it too since I was so curious to see how many C boaters Telemarked, that I telemark just like I OC for the feel and the grace, and I guess also for a bit of that going against the flow kindda thing.

I love to skin up a mountain in the middle of nowhere and make my own tracks without all those boarders and flashy tight wearing alpine skiers. Just like I love OCing down a really remote river in the middle of nowhere let's face it I can carry a little bit more stuff in my solo than I did in my kayaks :-? .

That's freedom just like yarnellboat said free your heels and I say free the other end of your paddle. :D
One God, one world, one love, One paddle
bearboater
CBoats Addict

knees

Post by bearboater »

not just tele skiing softens up the knees so does some competitive freestyle. if i do say so, as to the quantitative difference, im not sure, but yes, when i see a tele-er rippin the bumps, i do take a second and watch, graceful yes it can be, but so can a bumper rockin it in the course.
-isaac
indecisive N. Californian

tele or c-1???

Post by indecisive N. Californian »

tough decisions tele on fresh snow or run whitewater with blue sky and 70 degrees- I guess their has to be sacrifices... :wink:
Scal
Pain Boater

Post by Scal »

Both my friend. Up here in Canada it's tele in the winter and paddling in the summer. And often both in the Spring.

But the question was how it was interesting to see so many OC, C boaters who also telemarked!?!?! The conclusion I gathered from what I undestand, we love the challenge and going against the flow.
One God, one world, one love, One paddle
wavewalk
C Boater

Both

Post by wavewalk »

For the benefit of those who still haven't seen the new option:D : Paddle skiing.
There's a short video on my website: http://www.wavewalk.com/DEMO%20VIDEOS.html

Paddle skiing at sea is the best, as far as I'm concerned (not in this weather, though)

Yoav
Newton, MA
[img]http://www.wavewalk.com/WW%20Feb%20768x512.jpg[/img]
bearboater
CBoats Addict

so

Post by bearboater »

so hows your roll in that thing?
and secondly are you just standing in it, or are you strapped at all?
just curious, and kidding
-isaac
wavewalk
C Boater

no rolling, no straps

Post by wavewalk »

Isaac-
No rolling and no straps - what you see is what you get :D
See movie: http://www.wavewalk.com/DEMO%20MOVIES/S ... %20Res.AVI

Yoav