water transfer thru bulkhead

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ELGOTTO
C Guru

water transfer thru bulkhead

Post by ELGOTTO »

I would like to put a larger transfer pipe or at the least another of the same size thru my bulkhead without going to the trouble of removing it from the boat. There is very little space between the side of the bulkhead and the side of the boat. I've got a couple things in mind but would like to hear your thoughts.
Thanks
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Re: water transfer thru bulkhead

Post by Wendy »

I cut a 4-5 inch piece of 2 inch pipe then cut teeth into it and use it to enlarge hole. Another method I've used is to use breadknife after removing and freehand cut the enlargement. It looks nicer though if you start with the 2 inch pvc pipe for 2 inches so the outside is clean cut.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

I've done this with all of my bulkhead saddles. I start by punching out the factory-installed pvc pipe in the existing hole (way too small!) The last one needed persuasion, using a hammer (sideways) and a stubby screwdriver. Swearing helps.

Once removed, as per Wendy's suggestion, it's bread-knife time, followed by the use of a wood-rasp to correct booboos in the newly-renovated tunnel. Sometimes a smaller knife -- eg. serrated steak knife, which is shorter than a bread knife, is easier to use; other options include dry-wall knives.

As long as you don't cut too big a tunnel, I've never found it necessary to re-install additional pipe, etc. to support the new excavation. No one has ever commented on how it looks. I do get comments about how poorly I paddle, however.

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
ELGOTTO
C Guru

Post by ELGOTTO »

Thanks for the responses. The Covert 9.3 is the boat that I think needs more water transfer. It seems to want to hang up when I attempt a roll. There are two small pipes already installed but I think they should be larger diameter and a little lower. If anyone else is having this problem I would like to hear from you. Thanks
ELGOTTO
C Guru

Post by ELGOTTO »

Any more ideas of suggestions on this? I'm about ready to start the surgery.
Thanks
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Which way/tools are you planning on trying/using?
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ELGOTTO
C Guru

Post by ELGOTTO »

I cut a short piece of 2 inch copper pipe and sharpened the end and plan to try and twist it from one side of the bulkhead to the other. Maybe push it thru in a couple of places close to the bottom of of the bulkhead and see if that helps. Currently it has only two pieces of maybe 1 inch pipe passing thru. I do not plan to leave the pipe in the bulkhead. I believe it should be strong enough without it.