This is a friend's Ocoee I'm refurbishing with all new wood and some hull repairs. In the "before" photo you can see that the hull is in decent but worn condition. There are three significant soft spots underneath the front edge of the saddle. The vinyl layer was worn thin at the stems and throughout the entire center area of the boat, including the chines. I started by thoroughly washing the hull, then cleaning the work areas with acetone.
IMG_20180629_152626_790.jpg [ 62.15 KiB | Viewed 61 times ]
I used a heated metal rod to punch holes into the soft spots so epoxy could be injected. After the epoxy cured I used a sharp chisel to cut away the excess epoxy and the ABS that bubbled up around the holes.
IMG_20180702_173658_285.jpg [ 136.15 KiB | Viewed 61 times ]
I used ABS slurry to build up a new wear layer where needed. This took several coats. I mixed the slurry about the consistency of wood glue for the first couple of layers. I used a sharp low angle block plane and a random orbit sander to level the new ABS between coats. The surface was cleaned with compressed air and wiped down with acetone between coats.
Before I laid down the last two coats I taped off boundaries so I could get a nice looking edge. I mixed the slurry quite thin for the top layers, so it would lay down flat. The final coat was not sanded.
IMG_20180709_093439_182.jpg [ 71.76 KiB | Viewed 61 times ]
The red colored ABS came from MakerGeeks.com.
You can find cheaper ABS filament, but beware that some of them have non-ABS filler material. The stuff from MakerGeeks is pure ABS, and available in many colors.