No Flash
Check out
C-Forum Discussion of all things WhiteWater Canoe related
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Boat repair
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:38 pm 
C Guru

This is a friend's Ocoee I'm refurbishing with all new wood and some hull repairs. In the "before" photo you can see that the hull is in decent but worn condition. There are three significant soft spots underneath the front edge of the saddle. The vinyl layer was worn thin at the stems and throughout the entire center area of the boat, including the chines. I started by thoroughly washing the hull, then cleaning the work areas with acetone.

Attachment:
IMG_20180629_152626_790.jpg
IMG_20180629_152626_790.jpg [ 62.15 KiB | Viewed 61 times ]

I used a heated metal rod to punch holes into the soft spots so epoxy could be injected. After the epoxy cured I used a sharp chisel to cut away the excess epoxy and the ABS that bubbled up around the holes.

Attachment:
IMG_20180702_173658_285.jpg
IMG_20180702_173658_285.jpg [ 136.15 KiB | Viewed 61 times ]

I used ABS slurry to build up a new wear layer where needed. This took several coats. I mixed the slurry about the consistency of wood glue for the first couple of layers. I used a sharp low angle block plane and a random orbit sander to level the new ABS between coats. The surface was cleaned with compressed air and wiped down with acetone between coats.

Before I laid down the last two coats I taped off boundaries so I could get a nice looking edge. I mixed the slurry quite thin for the top layers, so it would lay down flat. The final coat was not sanded.

Attachment:
IMG_20180709_093439_182.jpg
IMG_20180709_093439_182.jpg [ 71.76 KiB | Viewed 61 times ]

The red colored ABS came from MakerGeeks.com. You can find cheaper ABS filament, but beware that some of them have non-ABS filler material. The stuff from MakerGeeks is pure ABS, and available in many colors.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:36 am 
C Maven

I've used ABS slurry as well with success, just to try it, but now I think I'd stick to G-Flex.

For similar wear through the vinyl layer and delamination, I've cut away all the vinyl and rotten layers - don't be shy, get rid of all the soft areas. Then I just filled with layers of G-Flex and glass. At the time I'm sure I had theories on whether larger or smaller patches went down as the first layers, and how the fibers were oriented, etc., but whatever. Do you one area at a time so that you you can angle the repair for the G-Flex to self-level.

I've also been happy with Aquaseal as a filler/glue for internal little cracks, but it might get expensive for larger areas, and I'd probably want to finish with glass and I'm not sure how that would work.

Cut, fill, sand, re-paint.

There's probably a load more detail (and conflicting opinion) if you search this forum for "royalex repair", "delamination", "G-Flex", "ABS slurry", "PC epoxy", "JB Weld", "s-glass", etc.

Good luck, Pat.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:38 am 
C Maven

p.s. I like how you say the hull is in decent condition! You'll be just fine as a ww canoeist!