Bigger Guy C-1?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

cjmogan
c

Bigger Guy C-1?

Post by cjmogan »

I'm looking to buy a used kayak to convert to a C-1. I have owned an Atom and a Gyromax. The Atom was too small for me and the Gyromax too "old." I'm 6'3" and with gear on, I weigh in over 200 lbs. What might folks suggest for a USED kayak to convert? There a boat-swap in a few weeks in my town and I'd like to go into it with some ideas. I run class 3+ water and have a good C-1 roll. I'm thinking about a 70+ gallon volume boat and would like some stabliity. I also O-C a Dagger Encore.

Thanks.

John
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

C-1 Conversion

Post by chuck naill »

I converted a Dagger GTX or 8.1. This is a high volume boat, 78 ga. I had to move the seat forward 9 inches from the rim over a period of several river runs before I got it trimed out. If you have long legs moving the seat forward enough might pose a significant problem. I think that there are some older boats like the Dagger Freefall that would make an interesting conversion if the key hole does not create a barrier. The Freefall that we have has 82 gal of volume and should be good for someone you size. :)

Chuck/Tennessee
oc1dude
C Boater

Post by oc1dude »

i have a dagger encore for sale if you are interested
tgb
Pain Boater

Post by tgb »

oc1 dude,
send me some info on the encore. i might be interested.
bradian@alltel.net
ShawnJReese
c

Re-Outfit your Atom

Post by ShawnJReese »

No way that Atom was too small for you. Re-Outfit that thing.
Get your saddle up, get your knees imobilized.

If you our getting stern squirted, move your saddle forward 1 inch.

If you are feeling bow heavy, move you saddle back 1 inch.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

In what way are you too big for it? Fit? Handling? How is it acting for you?

I weigh in at about 215 and have paddled an Atom, (but not lately) - it was too big for some play moves, but certainly big enough for river running. Ifind myself in bigger boats - slalom, Slasher, Rockit (volumewise) - and smaller (Score) depending on the day...
Brendan
C Guru

same size

Post by Brendan »

I am just about your size ( about 1/2 in shorter and weigh 200 before gear)- I have been paddling an Atom for several years and love it- I have not noticed any problems in how the boat handles- for river running, surfing and speed I find it to be a great all around boat. Maybe you have already tried one out and just didn't feel right- if you can, spend some time in one to get used to the edges and the feel of the boat.

Brendan
Brendan
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

John,

Sounds like you 'ghetto jonny' & I are looking for the same entry-level big boats.

Most responses I've heard favour the Score and Z for a river-runner-slash-playboat. Others like the large i3 and s8 for more play. And the large h3 or Nomad for creekers.

Here's a link to my similar post and its replies:
http://cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php?t=3749

Pat.