rolling in a hole

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

hermes

rolling in a hole

Post by hermes »

I wonder what the best way to roll in a hole while on your offside is? I haven't been able to figure out the offside high brace, which seems like it may expose you to shoulder injuries. I have heard about the one handed roll but that seems like you need a lot of help from the backwash. The option that seems best to me is to switch hands under water. I have been practicing this on flat water, but I imagine it would be a lot more turbulent switching when you are getting thrashed in a hole. Usually if I get flipped on my offside while sidesurfing, I just wait until I naturally float out of the hole and then roll, but it seems like being able to roll on both sides in a hole could be essential if you are stuck in a big one and waiting underwater does nothing.
Hermes
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

If it's big-n-munchy this doesn't always work.... but oftentimes a paddle sweep will get you and your boat turned around or a least in a better position to roll. Catching green water in the wrong direction can do shoulder damage.
aroclas

Post by aroclas »

...there is an off-side cross brace roll, that does work with a lot of balance...but...is not nearly as strong or effective as an on-side roll of course...switching and rolling is fine...beats the heck out of swimming...is a good one to practice for when you really want it too...