Nomad 8.1 or 8.5

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

kanusport
c

Nomad 8.1 or 8.5

Post by kanusport »

Greetings everyone,
I looked around on some previous posts and saw a lot of talk about the nomad as a creeker. One poster mentioned he had the 8.5 but was going to get an 8.1 as well. I am 5'11", and weigh about 155-160. It seems I could go either way with this. Their seem to be benefits for the bigger and smaller boat. I will be paddling mostly in the northwest and I am leaning toward the smaller boat. Anyone have any advice to help get me off the fence on this issue. Thanks a ton.
Truly,
Sean
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Yes - plaese let us know!

Post by NZMatt »

I'm also in the market for a creeker and was wondering about the Nomad. I'm 5'10" and 145-150lbs. Whatcha reckon?
Cheers
Matt
NZMatt

Hmmm....new country, new rivers...-
Still not enough c-boaters....
kanusport
c

I'm thinking 8.1 at this point

Post by kanusport »

I got a look at the 8.5 in a local shop in leavenworth washington and it looked like a big guy boat. That along with the post I mentioned were someone has an 8.5 but is going to get the 8.1 sorta says a lot. The 8.1 is 5" shorter, 1 3/4" narrower, and maybe a half inch shorter in the cockpit. If I was truly 165 or 170 I would go the other route but at this point i'm thinking the 8.1.
Jan_dettmer
CBoats Addict

Post by Jan_dettmer »

Hey, I have the 8.5. If you want to try it, I am on Vancouver Island.

I am 180 lbs and I would not want it any bigger. I think if I would be
smaller, i would go with the small one.

I picked up an Jefe for a kayak friend and it looks really sweet.
I would love to try it as a C1.

Cheers, Jan
Is there something like an expert kayaker?
http://www.bc-ww.com
Marshall
c

Post by Marshall »

I have an 8.5. I'd go with the larger one. You might want a playboat to be small so you can get the ends under, but in a creekboat, volume, volume, volume.

Nomad's a good boat.