What to look for in an OC-1?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

willieboater

What to look for in an OC-1?

Post by willieboater »

After a couple years of thinking about it, I would like to give OC-1 a shot.

I've k-1'ed for 15 years, and don't plan on stopping. However, I will have plenty of opportunities to do both. I am looking for a boat that is under 14 feet (storage reasons mostly). I would like something that can do a little of everything (outside of creeking, I'll hold off for a few).

Now, I do not yet have the roll down, and its a bitch to find an oc-1 and someone who has one, and has the same schedule. So I'd like to find my own boat, as it will help me improve.

Any ideas for a boat under 14 feet? What else should I look for in a boat? Anything I should be aware of when I look at an oc1? ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Roger
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

OC1

Post by billcanoes »

Hi Rodger

One big factor is your weight- and what you invision in your part time transition.

I'll try to answer once I get that beta-

Bill
C12B1
c

OC1

Post by C12B1 »

Although I have a Robson CUFly, Esquif makes some popular oc1s.

http://www.esquif.com
willieboater

more info

Post by willieboater »

I weigh about 205/210. I do not plan on playboating, at least not anytime soon. I plan on running 3/4 rivers mostly. Lot of the stuff I paddle is larger volume, not rocky and technical. However, I do plan on hitting some rocky and technical, that is NOT a creek run. I'll play a little bit as I paddle down, but that's pretty much it. No flatwater stuff.

I would like a boat that can track well, but at the same time, make quick turns. I'm not too concerned about the initial and secondary stability, because every boat I have is different, and I tend to adapt to the differences easily.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you want more info...

Thanks,
Roger
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the additional info. I'm about 210 too, and I paddle a 12' Outrage, which I like just fine. Here are a few ideas of common ww solo boats that might suit you; since you seem willing to adapt, I'm skipping the big, entry-level boats (like the old Impulse, Genesis, H2Pro, and the Vertige and others that emphasize stability):

MR Outrage or OutrageX
Esquif Nitro or Blast (How tall are you?)
Mohawk Probe 12II

These seem most likely. The X and Blast are larger (13'), so might be suited to big volume rivers for a heavy guy, and they still track & turn well.

If you want edgier, higher performance, look at Bell's Ocoee (Bell has some others too, but I'm not very familiar with them) or Mohawk's Viper 12 (Mohawk also has some more stable/larger boats like XLs or a Probe 14, but those are less fun for solo playing).

I hope that gives you some ideas of the market, really, there aren't that many boats too chose from. Though, I'm sure others will give you more advice.

As a starter boat, whatever gets you on the water for the right price will probably work, you'll learn more as you meet other solo canoeists (clubs in OR?) and try other boats.

Have fun, P.
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

Post by billcanoes »

My favourite- is the Mohawk Viper 12, followed by the Kaz' Millbrook Defiant. Both might be a little tippy getting started but they, IMHO would be perfect for your weight and paddling goals/description- A Probe 12 or 12II would be a more stable option.

I wish I could have tried an Esquif Spark the other week, it looks like an awesome boat. It might be worth a try.

Especially since you are knew to OC1 the more you demo the better.

If you buy used- its normal to have dings and some compression - check to ensure there are no soft spots, delamination.

Bill