paddle help

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

grinner
Pain Boater

paddle help

Post by grinner »

hi
i found a cabon T grip with a bit of a broken shaft joined to it.
i was woundering if there was anyway of fixing it to my metal addle.
i had a idea of taking the T grip off the old one then drilling a hole through them and then slotting the top onto the bottom ten putting a nut & bolt throught
would it work??
thanks
joe
paddling a flooded canoe is easy. stopping is easy as long as you have some kayaks to help you stop.
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Post by NZMatt »

That should work OK. I also recommend using some epoxy between the pieces. Roughen up the metal first with some sandpaper and use the combination of epoxy and a screw. I've found on an old metal shaft Ainsworth I had that just epoxy wasn't enough to hold the (plastic) t-grip after I shortened it, but the combination of epoxy and a screw worked great. I just screwed into the plastic though - I didn't used use a nut&bolt. Not sure if that'd work for the carbon or not. Just make sure the screw or bolt or whatever won't get in the way of and rub on your fingers when you paddle.

If the fit between the two isn't tight, you can also add a layer of fiberglass between (combined with the epoxy of course :)

Good luck

Matt
NZMatt

Hmmm....new country, new rivers...-
Still not enough c-boaters....