OC roll diagnosis

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Nice work OB!

While you're still working at it, I'd take a longer pause in your set up. Especially since that's where 2 of your personal keys are - stop and ask yourself 'have I pushed my t-grip down?' and 'are my shoulders really squared?', and then start the roll. As your percentages go up, you can start speeding things along.

A lot of my misses are when I start rolling before my set up was 100% completed.

Next is to try flipping to your other side and getting under your bow into your set up. On the river you won't go over to your onside as much.

P.
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

leaning out too far

Post by chuck naill »

I struggle with two things that hurt my roll.

1. I lean too far out so that my t grip is no where near my navel why I am rolling. THis gets me disconnected from the seat.
2. According to my son, I am not square when I am rolling, but I cannot seem to tell so.

I plan to really concentrate on the idea of keeping myself more tucked. I also seem to flip in some nasty stuff where I am immediatily hitting rocks so that I have to stay tucked longer than I like. I suppose I need to choose the places where I flip better.

I have also heard that the Dagger GTX is a hard kayak to roll. I wonder if that would play a role in my sometimes difficulty even though it been converted to a c boat.

Thanks for any feedback.

Chuck
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Chuck,

about point 1, for me the roll is much easier if I have the T-grip hand not near the navel, but near the forehead. This forces me to keep the head as low as possible and gives me better leverage , too.
And yes, I definitely recommend that you avoid flipping in the nasty stuff :wink: ...

martin a.k.a. The Great Gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

martin wrote:...I have the T-grip hand not near the navel, but near the forehead...
I've always paid more attention to where my shaft hand is than my t-grip - I usually have my forhead on the back of my shaft hand. In fact when I was learning, I'd bloody those knuckles (on my shaft hand) from contact with the edge of my old Pro-Tec. I keep my forehead on the back of that hand all the way through the roll - until my nose is on the offside of the boat. I really think that keeping that hand there protects your shoulder, keeps you from lifting your head early, and helps you "drive" the roll with your torso/legs (not arms).

When I find my roll weak or failing alltogether, I frequently find that I am "pushing up" off the paddle and lifting my head.

[Edited to be really really clear which hand I mean that I keep on my forehead.][/i]
Last edited by sbroam on Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan_dettmer
CBoats Addict

Post by Jan_dettmer »

I go with Scott. I don't think it's a good idea at all to have the grip-hand on your fore head. You shaft arm is completely extended, very bad for shoulder.
You don't need the leverage unless there is something else wrong with the roll.

Also, the longer you extend your paddle, the slower the roll. and the more exposed your grip arm elbow to rocks.
...This might not matter in easy or deep water too much, but when it counts...

Keep your shaft hand against your forehead more or less which makes you compact. Keeping compact form while paddling will help you in almost all paddling situations.

Cheers, Jan
Is there something like an expert kayaker?
http://www.bc-ww.com
ChrisKelly
CBoats Addict

I agree with Scott and Jan.

Post by ChrisKelly »

If my grip hand were on my forehead I'd be way to far out of the boat and really exposing that shouder. Chris Kelly
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

I never said AT he T-grip

Post by the great gonzo »

Well, I never said that my forehead is AT the T-grip hand , but NEAR the T-grip, meaning definitely closer to the T-grip hand than to the shaft hand, at least when I am in an OC. When I paddle a C1 which is easier to roll inb the first place, my forehead is closer to the shaft hand. My shaft arm is nowhere near fully extended, the angle of the shaft hand elbow is just slightly over a 90 degree angle, and I don't think I really expose my shoulder any more than I have to.

martin a.k.a. The Great Gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
TNpaddler30

rolling video

Post by TNpaddler30 »

Here is a link for Bob Footes video, it has been very helpful in teaching the proper technique and mechanics, I actually took my laptop to the lake to watch as I practiced.

http://www.whitewatervideo.com/cgi-bin/ ... =Foote.htm
Whit G