Outfitting Prelude

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Riverken
C Guru

Outfitting Prelude

Post by Riverken »

I just bought a Pyrhana Prelude. It comes with pieces of minicell foam: saddle, two knee-holders (for lack fo a better term) and a couple of flat pieces that are basically just to fill in space. The fellow at the store said that when the air bags are inflated all the foam pieces are held in tight and glue might not be necessary.

Not glueing in the pieces is appealing in case of need for adjustment, but the prospect of not only the boat but all the foam floating away separately after I swim is not as appealing.

Anybody tried not glueing?

By the way, I had the salesman weigh the boat with all the outfitting in it----49.5 lbs. There are lighter layups, but it's a well balanced thing and I found it quite easy to tote around. I think PE durability at that weight is a decent trade-off.
Martyn
Pain Boater

Post by Martyn »

I've tried "not glueing" and can't recommend it. You have less control over the boat as your movements go towards moving the outfitting around, not the boat. The outfitting can get sucked out if you leave the boat in a big hole. If you want to play around with positioning of the outfitting, but don't want to glue, try two-sided outdoor carpet tape. It holds up fairly well and will let you explore a number of options with your outfitting until you can find the setup that words best, and glue that in.

Martyn
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Glue

Post by chuck naill »

I had a Spanish Fly and glueing was necessary.

If you are not certain about where to put the foam, i.e forward or back, I would suggest using duct tape until you know. I agree with Martin that not glueing would be a disaster if you were to flip the boat.

Seems like I used either Weld Wood or Barge Cement for the foam, but it might have been Vinyabond.

Chuck
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Spanish Fly Outfitting

Post by Wendy »

I had a Spanish Fly that Craig Smerda bought from me-----This link on outfitting by him may help. No one has mentioned yet, but you will see it in the pictures. Put a dowel into the saddle, then a screw thru the thwart to secure the saddle position. Also be very sure to place the "knee things with the fatter side toward the saddle to puch your knees outward. Have fun! Here is the link.
http://kayakoutfitting.com/tips/wwcanoe/index.html
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

there is a link to Craig Smerdas great Outfitting tips for the Bulkhead of the Prelude. Click to the left on Outfitting > open boat outfitting :

http://kayakoutfitting.com/tips/wwcanoe/index.html

This was VERY helpful for me.
imagine