New solo WW open boat by Evergreen

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

New solo WW open boat by Evergreen

Post by the great gonzo »

Evergreen is just launching a new, not yet named open boat.
I saw it (just a naked hull, no gunnels, thwarts or outfitting) at The Complete Paddler (former Evergreen Store) in Toronto today.
The boat looks interesting, it has a flat bottom and hard chines very similar to an Ocoee, but the bottom seems to be somewhat narrower. the hull has a slight flare, and tucks inn a bit in the center in the gunnel area. The ends have not as sharp an enty angle as the Ocoee, but are sleeker than those on a Phantom, I think.
It seems to be about 10' long, rocker profile is smooth and similar than on an Ocoee, at least in the center. It looks definitely like an interesting boat.

Check it out:

http://www.evergreencanoe.com/canoe_solo.html

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Martyn
Pain Boater

Post by Martyn »

Hey Martin,

Did they have any idea when the boat might be in the water? I had seen pictures of it and it looked like a longer version of a Prelude made in Royalex.

Martyn
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Did you name it? If you do you could win it....

The boat is John Grayes (Colorado) design. Nice guy. A touch narrow IMO. He's been fiddling with it for several years. Congrat's John!
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Craig,

Yes, I entered the naming contest, indeed you never know :) ...
I agree with you, about it feeling narrow, that was my obsevation as well (couldn't help it and had to get into the hull, just to see 8) ...) .

Martyn,

the guy in the Store I talked to (sorry, forgot his name) said that I should check in a few weeks, they were trying to get boats ready for the market for this spring. The hull I saw was not a prototype, this was a production royalex hull made in a production ready mold, at least by the looks of it. put some gunnels and outfitting on and it's good to go.
As far as the shape is concerned, it was more like a narrowed and shortened Ocoee with somewhat blunter ends than a longer Prelude.
Rocker is substantially less than on the Prelude, the ends are blunter and the cross-section is different, the edges are a tad harder and the bottom is totally flat and does not have the very slight arch of the Prelude. The cross section in the center really reminded me of a narrowed Ocoee.

Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

I know the boat. John is a slalom racer... hence the width I'm guessing. I paddled one variation of the boat a few years back. It's still Royalex. Lot's of "production plastic" boats are variations of two boats in my opinion... the Edge and the Twister.
Glenn
c

Post by Glenn »

Martin... the last thing you need is a new boat! :roll:
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Glenn,

There is actually more than one new boat that I need I can think of at least 3-4 boats that are on my 'must have' list at any time :) , but unfortunately my storage space is limited... :cry:

Craig, what did you think of the boat you paddled?

msims
CBoats Addict

Post by msims »

I have a solution to your problem, Martin. When I move to Ottawa, you can store them there..I'll also promise to keep the plastic boats 'supple' (ie. not brittle) by taking them out periodically.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Just going off what I remember of one of the earlier glass versions at Minden it was fairly fast for a 9ft'er (lighter?), but twitchy for it's width and I paddle short boats a lot! It had a flat bottom which I prefer.

John is short in stature and fairly light. Carolyn Peterson did well racing in one. I think the boat will be ideal for shorter and lighter folks but think it will really be limited to that body type. 25 inches wide (most kayaks are 24.5"-25.5") does not scream stable if you read the specs... but then again the Spark is narrow as well but has a different waterline and more length to carry that width. Taller and/or heavier people simply need bigger boats. Maybe they plan to make a bigger-boy version down the road?

As I've stated countless times... I'm not a royalex guy for a river-runner or creeker. If you paddle in an area with high flows and deep water they are fine... but when things get grungy out there I like the benefit of knowing my boat won't look like it just came home from a catfight even for a weight penalty.

Like I always say... "every boat has it's ideal paddler" and for some folks this boat will be ideal.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Rats. Another boat that I'll have to wait for an "X" or a "big" version. And that doesn't always happen.

Evergreen didn't do much of a job getting its Sequel into the market, so I don't have high hopes for this one, at least not out West and not in a bigger version.

I hear you on Royalex. I think my Outrage is getting on its last legs. I put another crack in it on a rock-bashing, low-water run yesterday.

P.
msims
CBoats Addict

Post by msims »

I'm pretty sure this is going to be at the Toronto Gus Ryder pool session in next Sunday. I'll try to remember to take my camera for some photos... Not sure if it will be fully outfitted, there currently is only a seat in it right now.