Lac St. Jean boaters?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Alden
CBoats Addict

Lac St. Jean boaters?

Post by Alden »

Hi everyone,

Has anyone on here run rivers up in the Lac St. Jean area? I need some help verifying some stuff for my guidebook, yet it has been IMPOSSIBLE to find even a single person who is familiar with the rivers in that area. Does anyone know about these rivers, or even know of anyone who does. If so, please please get in touch with me.

thanks,
Alden
NEOC Slalom Rules
C Guru

Post by NEOC Slalom Rules »

Alden,
For starters try Jacques or Guilleume Chasse at Esquif. I'm sure they can put you in touch with an anglophone who can clue you in. I know a few of the Open Canoe slalom boaters stayed after Nationals last summer in Jonquiere and ran the Shipshaw river on the north side of the Saguanay but a bit south of Lac St. Jean. What other rivers are we talking Peribonka etc? You probably gonna end up talking with PQ natives to get what you want. Also try the racing clubs http://www.kayak.qc.ca/pageclubs.htm Brush up on your francais.
Pat
Open Boat/Open Mind
Jon
C Guru

Lac St. Jean

Post by Jon »

Are you talking tripping or playing? I've tripped on the Ashuapmushuan (5 days) a few times and have friends who did the Mistassibi Nord-Est once.
Alden
CBoats Addict

boatin

Post by Alden »

cool, thanks guy. jon, how was the Ashuapmushuan?
Alden
Jon
C Guru

Ash Tripping

Post by Jon »

Good tripping river. Great campsites, some long sets with lots of options (CII/III lines around CIV stuff). The Chutes Chaudier (Kettle falls) is a great place to stay over and just explore (1.5 km portage NOT RUNNABLE) - great blue berries in season. It is in a Nature Reserve and so costs a little extra but you can arrange a shuttle (1.5 hours north) which is worth the money. They do rent canoes there, but I would bring your own boat with thigh straps. They ONLY speak French, so if you have someone along who parlez francais, it make things much easier. There are online guages to help with the timing. More bugs = higher water.