Serious question for everyone regarding the CForum

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Another no-no - no banner ads with audio. Our PC is in the bedroom and is almost continually online. I woke up in the middle of the night recently trying to figure out who was exorting me to try the latest in organizational plastic food storage containers only to find that the page I get my weather from had a rotating banner ad with audio.

Kind of freaked me out.

Almost as bad as I freaked out a contractor who was working late in our office one time. I was "remote controlling" my office PC from home when I inadvertantly (well, maybe intentionally) started playing the audio CD in the computer...
msims
CBoats Addict

Post by msims »

Having the option from the main page to contribute is a great idea IMO. I know we're not *all* teenagers that get glory in having a STAR beside their name because they've contributed some coin to a website service (I'm thinking specifically of the example of some of the sites I subscribe to where you can download software)... but it would be a good thing to offer.... either way - I'd be happy to contribute :-).

The advertising sounds great, esp if it's confined to the side/top... I get really annoyed with sites that suddenly have adv. content that suddenly appears on a mouseclick or when you're halfway through reading a news article..!

Perhaps a monkey that you have to click on with the caption, "Help the c1-monkey boof gorilla on the green!" would be a great ad to see...
________
Burger king gift cards
Last edited by msims on Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Post by CosmikDebris »

I don't have any problem with teh google ads. The Angst board has done that and it is fine. Maybe if you had a place to post videos, you could have a fee for posting it but still have it free to view...
Will
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

Whatever it takes! What ever happened to the bumper stickers? Tee shirts...C-Boat paddling gear? Hmmm
TomAnon
C Guru

Post by TomAnon »

Whatever it takes. You can count on me for a contribution as well. I just need to know where to send it.

Google, well I got real problems with them on a politics level; but, if they are paying.... whatever, their money is Green!.... I do not and will not use Google anything. That is just a personal thing.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Mikey B wrote:Whatever it takes! What ever happened to the bumper stickers? Tee shirts...C-Boat paddling gear? Hmmm
There is the official squirt boat of the C-Forum - the "Maven"...
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Post by squeakyknee »

:) I'll support ya all the way! :)
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Something else to consider - there are not only hardware and technoogy related expenses, Adam and Kenneth put in a lot of time administering this site. The "wetware" steps in creating a user account here are time consuming - but look at the results - no spambots have run amok in here! The level of discourse here I think is enviable. Thanks!
MarcB
c

Post by MarcB »

nO pROBLEM....No Problem with adds, weighed in. Marc