Cheoah, NC

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Blisteredfromfishn
c

Cheoah, NC

Post by Blisteredfromfishn »

Any one here run the Cheoah....in an open boat? I plan to be there this Sunday. The release is scheduled for 1000cfs.
American Whitewater has a pretty extensive description of the rapids and I've read it it a hundred times and I'm scared. I'll be with a bunch of butt boaters who usually fare much better than myself in the big stuff.
Just wondering if any one has any first hand experience.

C-ya.
Mick
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Check with Louie! He's been on it a bunch

http://www.cboats.net/cforum/profile.ph ... file&u=433
ChrisKelly
CBoats Addict

I will be there and am considering running Sunday.

Post by ChrisKelly »

Ben at AW says the release level will be 850 cfs. However, the releases has often been very different from what was promised, with variation both up and down. I'm skert too. Maybe I'll just run the easier middle section. Chris Kelly
Louie

Chris, quit believin that AW Kayak club hype.

Post by Louie »

ain't nuthin to be skeered of. It is a cake walk.
ChrisKelly
CBoats Addict

Louie's post certainly makes me feel better!

Post by ChrisKelly »

:roll:

Louie, Do me (us) a big favor and evaluate the river more objectively. YOu know it better then most of us and I would really appreciate your technical view of the whats and wheres.
Chris Kelly
Louie

Can I just hold you hand and lead you down it?

Post by Louie »

Chris it only has two named rapids ( hint # 1 ). Hair boater are poo-poo'in it ( hint # 2 ). I did it at twice the volume it will be next Sunday and I said I'd go back at that level. ( hint # 3 ). AW only said you would proberly die, not die for sure. ( hint # 4 ) Dneesh did it once and went back. ( big hint # 5, tell her I said this and I'll kick your butt Judge or no Judge.)

It is wide open, plenty of room to avoid everything. It has a road right beside it. It ain't that steep. hades fire they are runnin raft on it. You're in a boat the size of a small barge. You look for the down stream holes and avoid them. The left side of the big one is a clean drop into a huge eddy with no hydrolitic. Very low death count. What more can I possiblely say
ChrisKelly
CBoats Addict

Thanks Louie.

Post by ChrisKelly »

You gonna boat the Cheoah Sunday? chris k
Blisteredfromfishn
c

Post by Blisteredfromfishn »

Thanks for all the input guys. There's been a change of plans with my paddling compadres. We will now run the Tallulah Gorge on Sunday. Any takers? (And yes, now I'm really SKEERT!)

Mick
me
c

Re: I will be there and am considering running Sunday.

Post by me »

ChrisKelly wrote:Ben at AW says the release level will be 850 cfs. However, the releases has often been very different from what was promised, with variation both up and down. I'm skert too. Maybe I'll just run the easier middle section. Chris Kelly
You ain't got nothing to be scared of. Even I can make it through this run. It's so easy that I'm going to use my NRS propulsion gloves this weekend. Now if I can do it with no paddle, I know you can do it with half a paddle.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

You ain't got nothing to be scared of. Even I can make it through this run. It's so easy that I'm going to use my NRS propulsion gloves this weekend. Now if I can do it with no paddle, I know you can do it with half a paddle.
Kiley? :o
Dale@half-shaft
C Boater

Post by Dale@half-shaft »

The dues you pay to post on this board are paid on your knees. Kiley, are you willing to pay the price? If so... Louie can hook you up.
Louie

hades FIRE

Post by Louie »

He can barely do it in a girls boat you think he is ready for a canoe, but I do have one he can use. A Zoom or a Prelude would have just the right amount of stability for him.
me
c

Post by me »

Dale@half-shaft wrote:The dues you pay to post on this board are paid on your knees. Kiley, are you willing to pay the price? If so... Louie can hook you up.
Well, I do like to try new things. I'm willing to give it a go if my knees can take it. Sure does sound uncomfortable to me ... sitting or your knees for a few hours.
me
c

Re: hades FIRE

Post by me »

Louie wrote:He can barely do it in a girls boat you think he is ready for a canoe, but I do have one he can use. A Zoom or a Prelude would have just the right amount of stability for him.
Wow, you spell a whole lot better on this forum. And what you talking about "barely". I didn't even get my head wet last time. Didn't even have to brace at Yardsale. And I always take the West Prong line on the rapid below the falls or big one or you whatever ... you know the one where you cheat left.
Dale@half-shaft
C Boater

Post by Dale@half-shaft »