Knee Injuries?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

adkSara
C Guru

Knee Injuries?

Post by adkSara »

Knee Injuries?
by Alden
Has anyone had experience returning to C-1 after a knee injury? I just had surgery on my meniscus/partially torn ACL. It sucks. Anyone gone through this?

Posted on Nov 20, 2002, 7:09 PM

Torn ACL
by DaveM
I'll let Doc Kneal chime in, but I have a torn ACL in my right knee. After I injured my knee (1987) I elected not to have the ligament rebuilt with another ligament as (at the time) that strategy resulted in a strong knee with limited mobility.

Instead, I just live with a knee that doesn't have that ligament in it anymore. I have complete range of mothion, but my days of playing soccer, tennis, basketball and just about any cutting sport are over. I can still run just fine and swim just fine...just no cutting sports.

I think technology has come a long way (Kneal will know more) in reconstruction and range of moblility. I would encourage you to ask a lot of questions and do your physical therapy as much as it sucks.

Good luck...their is C-boating after this type of injury... My most comfortable seating position is kneeling with my buns directly on my feet....that's about a 3" seat....DM

Posted on Nov 21, 2002, 5:22 AM

i done my acl real good
by joey
i tore my acl when i was playing football in high school. i had been c-1ing for about 6 years before that. anyway i had the surgery, the one where they graph your petela. i did the rehab, and was back in my boat in a little over a month (against doctors wishes). i havent had any trouble since. it acts up in the cold a little, but as long as i stretch well there are no problems. i totally recomend the surgery especially if you are a active person (hike, climb etc...). the rehab sucks a lot, but i think it pays of in the end. i was young when i did this, so i dont know what age plays in this. im still only 20 so that may have an effect as well. my mom is an open boater and she just had surgery on her acl. she is doing well with it, and is very pleased. good luck, and i hope this helps. --- joey

Posted on Nov 21, 2002, 1:56 PM

Here is what I know
by KNeal
My disclaimer is: I am not a doctor, my WIFE is. I just get to act like one on the internet. What I know is damage to the ACL negatively affects a person's ability to jump, move side-to-side (quickly), and stop suddenly from running forward. Without being technical, the ACL is basically responsible for keeping the lower leg from traveling forward. With that said and understanding what movements are affected, I will say that post-surgical ACL injuries that are rehab'ed should not affect c-1 boating because the knee is stabilized in a non-moving (static)position. As long as you can bend the knee to the degree needed to kneel, you should be okay. Just don't jump out of the boat and start doing "suicide sprints". Bottom line, ask your physician and physical terrorist (umm, I mean therapist!).

KNeal

Posted on Nov 21, 2002, 3:19 PM

Thanks
by Alden
Thanks for all the info everyone! I had a feeling things looked pretty good, it's just good to hear that from y'all. You don't know how many of my kayaker "friends" have been trying to convert me! But I keep saying, hades no!

Posted on Nov 21, 2002, 5:35 PM
adkSara