Fiberglass boat care

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Fiberglass boat care

Post by Sir Adam »

Fiberglass boat care
by Nate Piekielek Nate Piekielek

Hey I've got a mid 1970s homemade fiberglass C-1. It appears as though whatever lacquer finish it had on the hull has long since worn off. I took it out the other weekend and it seemed as though even minor encounters with rocks did bad damage, (I had a great time though!!). What should I do to take care of or maintain this boat? Someone mentioned a finish that you can get at your local hardware store for cheap but then they didn't really know any details and maybe didn't actually know what they were talking about. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Nate

Posted on Oct 1, 2002, 7:36 AM

When they are three decades old, homemade (probably with polyester resin and e-glass)...
by WBT

...the best material and method for repair is:

a quality duct tape, applied liberally, before and after each use.

Anything else is sending good money after bad.

Posted on Oct 1, 2002, 1:08 PM

Old boat repair
by DaveM

Contrary to the previous posting, there are some things you could do. First you should always try to keep all boats out of the sun (even plastic "milkjug" boats). The UV rays cause the resin/plastic to deteriorate.

If that's already happened and it sounds like it has, you might want to try spray painting the bottom (and or top) of the boat with epoxy spray paint. You could brush paint the boat with thinned down resin, but I think the spray paint will be the quickest and provide the cleanest finish.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out....and try and keep your boat inside or at leaast in the shade...DM

Posted on Oct 2, 2002, 2:04 PM

Interesting idea, that coat of paint. How does it work???
by WBT

I was just wondering how a spray coat of paint (epoxy, enamel, or kryptonite) is going to increase the impact resistance of an old brittle hull?

Even if you consider a coat of paint to be an increase in laminate thickness, and I do not, that might increase stiffness to a slight degree. But, the impact resistance of the layup will be uneffected. All you are adding is another layer of weak material (the paint) to wear off the surface when subject to minor abrasions.

Like a barn roof made of water damaged wood, a coat of paint will not keep it from falling when the snow falls.

Posted on Oct 2, 2002, 4:19 PM

Boat deterioration
by DaveM

If your boat has deteriorated to the point the layup has no ability to flex and absorb impacts then it's probably time for a new timex or you could use this boat as a plug for a new boat.

Most often what I have witnessed (for boats left outside) is the outside layer deteriorates and the first layer of material starts to show through. The paint solution I proposed usually works in that instance.

I have glass (homemade) boats that are 25 plus years old. They are still very paddlable and are not brittle (they have also been kept inside).

Good luck and let us know how you make out...DM

Posted on Oct 3, 2002, 6:12 AM

Results
by Nate Nate

Previous to having read Dave's spray-on epoxy recommendation I had purchased some glass resin. I painted a fresh coat on the entire hull and then a second thicker coat to the center rock impact prone areas. Other than not having acetone to keep my brush from hardening it went on well and was quick and easy. In response to others' postings, this hull is not brittle like your rotten barnroof and just needed some lamenate to keep light impacts from pulling at the exposed glass sheets.

Took it out on the Nantahala yesterday and everything was tight, with the exception of course of my second-time paddling skills. No problems except for that dam last rapid which pysched me out more than more than anything; I'll get it next time....

Thanks for all of the advice.

Nate

Posted on Oct 7, 2002, 8:50 AM
Keep the C!
Adam