Stringers in a fiberglass boat

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

by will will

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with putting stringers in the hull of a glass boat? The hull of my Acrobat is a little flexy, so I'm looking for a reasonable fix. Also, whats the deal with outfitting glass boats? The outfitting in this boat sucks, anyone have any pictures of Acrobat outfitting? thanks,
will

Posted on Oct 12, 2002, 6:59 AM

Glass reinforcement
by Randy Randy

This is off the cuff:

My first impression is to say that just adding a layer or two of glass to the hull would add the needed stiffness. I don't really know about old Acrobat hulls, but I bet they need no stringers when in original condition. I think restoring the skin itself to this level of stiffness may be the best fix.

When adding glass, focus only on the area that seems weak, and only add as much as is necessary. Stay as light as possible.

If stringers do seem the best route, what about using the structure of the oufitting as a frame, and minicel foam to transmit that strength to the hull.

Posted on Oct 13, 2002, 7:17 PM

Couple of Questions/musings
by DaveM

1. Does the boat have any walls? If not, it should. These will contribute to overall stiffness. Try using foam board insulation (it comes in various widths) It can be glued into the boat with Polyurethane (sp) Glue (one brand name is Gorilla Glue).

2. As for outfitting, it's completely up to you, everone is a little different, so you will probably have to redo the outfitting that's in the boat.

3. Most folks use a minicell seat and 1.5 inch thigh straps w/ anchor points epoxyed into the bottom of the hull and the side's of the hull.

4. We can launch into an outfitting diatribe if you need one....Good Luck and welcome to the world of glass.....Everything happens faster in glass...DM

Posted on Oct 14, 2002, 6:13 AM

Respond to this message

you aren't kidding about the faster part either...
by will

this boat is so quick on end i can't keep up with it and get dizzy

Posted on Oct 14, 2002, 2:51 PM

Outfitting...
by Sir Adam

As DaveM says, Outfitting is VERY personal. There are a bunch of different styles at http://www.cboats.net/outfitting.html (with images). If this is the Will that's over in NH e-mail me...I'm heading over towards Boston twice in the next three weeks and would be happy to help you out....

C-ya!
Sir Adam

Posted on Oct 14, 2002, 6:57 AM
Keep the C!
Adam