ez or ace as C1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

ez or ace as C1

Post by Sir Adam »

ez or ace as C1
by Mark Mark

Anyone have any experience or thoughts about using an EZ or ACE 4.7 as a C1? I weigh 148 at 5'8" and would like to run class IV safely but learn to play as well. I had been looking at an X, but am starting to think that the new designs may be better.

Posted on Oct 16, 2002, 10:24 AM

EZ C1
by Brian

At your size I would definitely consider the newer style smaller boats than the older style X. I converted an EZ two years ago after thinking about buying an used X. No second thoughts!

For park and play nothing is better than a short play boat and at your size smaller boats still run well.

Although I have really enjoyed my EZ the better question might be is there a better boat than an EZ or an Ace to convert? Somewhat of a personal thing.

Posted on Oct 16, 2002, 1:48 PM

What's better
by Mark

You mentioned that there may be better new designs out there. If I was leaning only slightly more toward speed and less toward vertical, what models come to mind?

Posted on Oct 18, 2002, 4:15 PM

I paddled both ...
by Stéphan GG

I use to own a EZ C-1 and found it a little slow when river running. I loved it for play, although it was hard to surf small waves.

I now paddle a Ace 4.7! Strange but true, it's easier to paddle class IV and, at the same time, easier to cartwheel! ! It keeps the line better and ferries like a charm. On the other hand, it tends to surf on the stern and I have a harder time spining it.

So it depends on your style! But both are great boats!

Stéphan

Posted on Oct 16, 2002, 3:04 PM

Big EZ any better ??
by Al

I`m in the same situation at 5-8 but 160lbs how would the Big EZ do as one? or should I be looking at the EZ as well or the Ace?

Thanks Al

Posted on Oct 18, 2002, 12:52 PM

I have a Big EZ C-1
by Mike W. Mike W.

The Big EZ is horribly slow. That is the thing I like least about it. Sometimes it's hard to get on the wave, but once on a steep wave it is a blast. It does like steep, fast waves & is hard to keep it on shallow, slow waves. You are welcome to try mine if you like.
Mike W.

Posted on Oct 18, 2002, 3:14 PM
Keep the C!
Adam