Hip Grabber construction?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

adkSara
C Guru

Post by adkSara »

by Charlie
Wondering what people have used to make hip grabbers. The old slalom boat that I have used a metal L-type bracket with foam around it. I would like to replicate something like this on my new boat (Viper!). Any ideas on creating a solid support? Thanks

Posted on Nov 4, 2002, 9:05 AM

Various things...
by Sir Adam
Greetings...

I've used (and seen):

-metal L brackets bolted in
-fiberglassed "beaver tails" to then inside of the boat
-extensions of the rim (I've seen this on a couple of squirt boats (Acrobats)...great workmanship

That said, almost anything will work, as long as it's stiff and you can attach it to the boat.

I'm using metal brackets (from the hardware store) padded out right now on my Acrobat...I had them on the Viper I sold too.... The Viper I have now doesn't seem to need them (TIGHT outfitting by John Frachella that I tweaked a bit). When I get a chance I'll be adding a few more pages on outfitting to the CBoats site....

C-ya!
Sir Adam
P.S. Congrats on finally getting the boat!!!

Posted on Nov 4, 2002, 7:53 PM
CUTTING BOARD!!!!
by Matt Swain
I used white UHMW (ultra-high molecular weight polyethalyne) It is the white stuff used to make those cutting boards you can buy from Wal-Mart for like $5 Canadian. You cut out the shape you like and either heat it and bend it on a 90 degree angle and bolt it to the cockpit rim or you can melt two seperate pieces and hold them together at a right angle. Glue some foam on your hip side and really shave it down on the outside so you don't ruin your shirt. Mine are so low they don't even touch my skirt.
It seems this is becoming more popular here in Canada. On conversions anyway!
Cheers,
Matt

Posted on Nov 5, 2002, 11:47 AM
adkSara