Youth clothing and gear....

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Youth clothing and gear....

Post by PAC »

Okay folks here is my rant!

Why is it so bloody hard to get "little" people clothing?

We have a paddling clinic this weekend and it will be a bit cool on Sat so I'm out hunting gear to keep my daughter warm and there is nothing! Absolutely nothing out there!

Other than getting a shortly for her I can not track down any true paddling gear (spray top, pants) for her kid size 8 body.

I even went to Wal-Mart (cringe) and picked up a neoprene PFD and upgraded the water shoes to size right.

But there is absolutely nothing out there from manufactures that is geared towards kid kayaking.

Okay I have an old Ace (race) helmet she can wear (she will be on flat water with maybe a riffle or two so that will work). A pair of ski pants (shells I picked up at the Salvation Army store) and a fleece and Nylon shell jacket. So we should be okay but this is a pain.

My son is good now that he can fit into XS gear and he now has better stuff than I do. But he is 11 and will be in my stuff next year the way he is growing! :o

All I ask is way can't manufactures make nicer "small people" gear?

I know its a small market and the grow like weeds but it doesn't have to be bomber and it would get passed around and upgraded on if the pricing was good. Heck I'm willing to pay for it an I'm a C1er (we are notoriously cheat). :wink:

Okay enough of a rant.

I guess I have to get the sewing machine out and fab gear like in the not so good olde days.

PS: Once she grows out of stuff I'll let folks know so if they need anything.....
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Yeah, hold onto that stuff, Paul. I just may be giving you a holler about 6-8 years down the road (it would be 3-5 years if it were ME in charge :wink: ).

Y'all have fun at the clinic. That's what boatin' is ALL about (that and surfin' :D , squirtin' :D , enders :D , flat spinnin' :D , etc.). Also, tell your son I said, "Hi", and that I missed him this year--Brinks keeps askin' about him :lol: .

KNeal
David Good
Pain Boater

NRS?

Post by David Good »

PAC,

Did you check NRS? It looks like they have youth sized farmer johns , splash jackets, and PFDs that may work for your duaghter (at reasonable prices).

Take It Easy,

David
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

More...

Post by PAC »

Thanks David! Unfortunately they (like the rest of the world) have Youth Medium (65#), Large(75#) and X-Large(85#). She on the other hand is just a tad over 50# and skinny as a rail (just like mom :) - not like dad :( ).

The boy is outfitted with really nice stuff like what they have displayed on their site (lotus, patagucci, Mt Surf, etc.). Its getting gear for the girl that is the problem (even Mt Surf didn't have anything her size when we stopped in the shop last weekend).

I know I can't be the only one in this "boat" (okay poor pun)! She loves the boating thing and is constantly asking me to pull boats out so she can play in the yard. Now she has her own boat and I'm hoping for really big smiles and another future paddling buddy!

I guess my rant is in frustration that I am not able to provide her with gear that keeps her warm and happy and that makes the whole paddling experience 100% enjoyable! :cry:

KNeal - Once mine is done with the gear I'll ship it off to you! Oh just be easier on your little one when she is in the C2 Stern position... at least easier on her than you were on me! LOL :wink:

On a positive note the girl's instructors are good and know how to make things fun for the kids! The boy on the other hand has a task master that will work him like a dog (and it isn't even me)! 8)

Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Li'l D
C Boater

Post by Li'l D »

These people had a booth at an outdoor show in our area recently. They specialize in outdoor clothing for kids.

http://www.upsideover.com/
Marc Evans
C Guru

PAC, Check NRS Again.

Post by Marc Evans »

PAC, NRS has farmer johns in Youth Extra Small. The stated height range is 3'11" to 4'1" with a weight range of 55 to 65 pounds. Look under Apparel - Kids link. The URL should be http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=1182.

I'm going over to the main NRS store within the next couple of days, so if you want actual size measurements I would be happy to take the tape measure.

Marc
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

Youth Clothing

Post by billcanoes »

Hey Pac- I got an extrasport youth pfd, which is awesome a gratefull head helmet- they make a 20" or size it still had to be padded out- I got a farmer john and NRS splash gear- When I got the stuff it was very loose and the velcro overlapped the snap buttons, he still stayed warm in it- though I didnt think he would- I was furious because they had actually sent a large instead of a medium- 8 months later the large fits him fine.

I would shoot for the 65# option- as ther AREn't many other choices. I think kid paddling is an even smaller group then c1ers.

Bill
Al Greve
C Guru

Post by Al Greve »

Hi Pac its a very good rant...I don`t visit the Cboat site all that often, I guess its just lack of time. Just this pass year I started my own company up here in Ontario called Canoe Water Adventuring and it just so happens that one of the areas I`ve focused on is kids white water gear and wear for the young canoeist. Along with Composite Creations we`ve developed the first w/w solo open canoe for kids 65lbs to 105lbs called the Splash. Sorry I haven`t got our web site up yet, but hope to have it up shortly. If you go to www.rapidmedia.com you`ll see my 11 year old, 65lb daughter Chip both wearing Gul and other youth outer wear ( drysuit ) while she`s paddling her New Splash. You`ll be able to read a full product review of the Splash in this next addition of Rapid Mag. If you want to view any of the Gul product lines you can visit www.gul.com. As far as great youth PFDs you can visit www.salusmarine.com . If your intersted in any of the Salus or Gul products or anymore details you can contact me at canoewater@netscape.ca

Al Greve
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

al, now that is a cool open boat!
this could also be in the thread about growing the open caoe user base
Larry
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Rant returned....

Post by PAC »

Thanks all! At the clinic there was a parent "hand-me-around session" and all the kids got out fitted for warmth and happiness. Seems this is an issue for all parents of young kids so everyone brought “everything” they own to share (the paddling community is filled with some really nice folks).

Lucky for all the weather also cooperated and the sun came out to make the cool days warm enough to cut down on the "blue lip syndrome”. The kids had a blast with my daughter playing in the lake day one and then paddling on the creek day two. She also got in a small side rapid run (in her new Jib kayak without a skirt) and is stoked for more paddling adventures!

The boy paddled the main sections of the Slip (that’s right Bill and Martin – the same section we did last year) and told mom afterwards “It was the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life”! He was quite proud of himself after one of the instructors told his class that there is no one in their respective schools who would understand what they had accomplished and how hard they worked to do what they did… and that they should have an inter pride in knowing what they can do… for themselves! I even had a chance to take some nice pictures and some video of one of their runs (where he and another flipped but did not swim – bow rescues) which he thought was neat!

All of the youth instructors were patient, understanding and focused on safety and fun. Even if all the kids were in Yaks its okay since that’s an easier way to learn how to paddle IMO. On the flip side Big Al and I only had one Ocer in our group and he looks to have the skill sets to fit in nicely with Team Olde Guy… but I digress. I think the easy access to K gear and its ease of use are the major reasons there are more kayaking then open boating kids. Having more role models is also a biggie. Only a few kids will want to paddle OC or C when their buddies and parents paddle Ks. Additionally, there are so many other distractions for kids today and most kids only see the TV version of white water boating, which is unfortunate.

On the way home (and during an ice cream break) I made sure we talked about all the fun, the safety and thought processes of paddling and generally work on keeping the jazz going. In that vain my son mentioned he still wants my Acrobat (c1) and I told he can paddle it once he gets a K roll, and then a C roll (I have a kid’s size old C1 racer that I think I’ll pull out from under the shed this weekend J ). I also suggested he should to learn to paddle a WW OC to complete his skill sets. This is a good tie since he paddled an OC on a boys scout trip the weekend prior. But I’m not going to force him – this is his journey so he needs to ask the questions and then I’ll provide the answers. I’ll just have tons of gear hanging about and let him know he is welcome to go with me! :wink:

That said Al… I’m interested in the Splash (I’m sure others are as well) so lets have some more posts on it. Specs, pictures, etc. – maybe even a review or two from adults and the kids! I’ll check out the Gul and other sites for more gear too (funny thing is I found an Gul old spray jacket early last week and modified it for the boy). I don’t get Rapid but I’ll try to look for it around here this weekend for copies.

As for the future of kids in Cboats I guess we as paddlers have to expound on the pleasures and fun of C-boating to make it “hip”. We need to get the kids in the boats and make it fun for them and get the kids that are in them to show others how much fun it is! 8)

Oh I’ve since gone out and pick up a new shorty for the girl that is large on her so fleeces and such can be worn as well under it and Kneal I’ve started a “care package” for you! :)

Again thanks for putting up with a rant and for providing all the feedback!
Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
C1Dub
C Guru

Little people gear

Post by C1Dub »

Paul,

Next time call me. I have some little people gear as I am one of the little people who just never grew up :wink: . If you need stuff again I have a paddle jacket and sm. wetsuit (shorty) and small wetsuit vest.

Let me know,

Natalie