Wave Sport Ace as C1?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

kanur
C Guru

Wave Sport Ace as C1?

Post by kanur »

Has anyone here done an Ace conversion? There are a lot of different conversions listed in the poll below about boats owned but if there was an Ace I overlooked it. It looks to have all the right things to be a C1, wide flat hull, large cockpit, and best of all they can be found cheap. Any thoughts?
Dennis

"Just Cause I Don't Run My Mouth Don't Mean I Got Nothing To Say" Mike Cooley DBT
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I'm guessing that if you weigh a lot less than I do the Ace would be a good boat. If you want to see a video comparison between the Ace & Big EZ on the same wave, go here:

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/photo ... oto+Search

I'm 190lbs in the Big EZ (mike watson styling). The girl in the Ace (carving weldon wave) appears to weigh less than I do.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Rapid Magazine (a Canadian rag with lots of canoe content that inexplicably dropped my subscription) had a favorable review of the Ace as a C-1 a couple of years ago.

BTW - sweet video Mike - that 's a nice wave
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I love that wave :D It's 10 minutes from my house. People drive 2 hours just to come up here & surf it. When it's busy I'll go early in the morning or late in the afternoon to miss the crowds. It's real cool to surf at night. There's just enough light from the parking lot to make it interesting :wink:
kanur
C Guru

Post by kanur »

Thanks for the link Mike, that wave looks like a blast. I have a regular EZ C1 and at 175# I feel like I'm too big for it, and it is the slowest boat I have ever paddled. Some kayaker friends my size say the same thing about the EZ but love their Big EZ's. I think I'll keep an eye out for the larger Ace and give it a try. My wife is SLOWLY laying her training blade aside and has been paddling my Prelude and the EZ. It seems to fit her well.
Scott, I tried looking at back issues of Rapid on their website but no luck finding the write up, there is a lot of stuff there to look through.

A wave like that 10 minutes from home, thats sweet :lol:
Dennis

"Just Cause I Don't Run My Mouth Don't Mean I Got Nothing To Say" Mike Cooley DBT
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I'm guessing 175lbs would be good for a Big EZ. The bow probably wouldn't dive as badly for you & mess up ferries. It's still slow. Slowest thing I've ever paddled but great on a steep wave.
Berkshire Jack
Pain Boater

I Tried the conversion

Post by Berkshire Jack »

A friend of mine converted the Ace to a C1, and I have tried it. It was fairly easy to throw around and stern squirt, but it was slow. I was on the heavy side (190 lbs) for the boat. I ended up buying the Wheelboy and have not regretted it. The balance in the Wheelboy for throwing ends is superb, and it surfs better than the Ace. My friend may be interested in selling his converted Ace, or talking to you further about it.
C1-er
James
C Guru

Post by James »

the ace series had continuous rocker, they were not seen as a good kayak playboat, I wouldn't bother using one as C1 as there are many trusted and popular kayak conversions.
Al Greve
C Guru

Post by Al Greve »

Yes Scott McGregor of Rapid Mag did a review of a Ace 5.1 C1 a few years back and I`d have to agree with Scott`s review...its a great C1. I`ve had my Ace as a C1 for about 3 years now, its a great alround C1. As conversions go, its fast, stable, a great surf and than some. I haven`t been paddling C1 to much these days as I spend more time in OC1, ( Taureau or Zoom ) maybe do to the fact that I`m a Esquif rep. Oh well !!! :wink: The long and the short of it.... it would all depend on your paddling wants, park and play throw down boat??? maybe not! But for freeboating ??? Sure !!

Al Greve
kanur
C Guru

Post by kanur »

Thanks for the extra imput guys.
Al an open boat is my main ride also (Prelude). I am not to interested in throwing down in a C1 just playful cruising on easy stuff. I have a Forplay conversion that I like pretty well just thought an Ace may be better.
Jack if your friend wants to sell his Ace I may be interested if it is the larger 5.1.
Dennis