Big Weekend (sort of)

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Big Weekend (sort of)

Post by Sir Adam »

Saturday I paddled about 6 different boats in the "collection", and was able to convince a three other folks to hop in the boats a bit as well, plus Kenneth:) . Two I'd actually never paddled before - a Perception Sage and a New Wave Descender. I'm actually looking forward to getting the Descender on the Hudson at some point-it seems to me it might make a nice tripping boat (though a little less rocker might be better).

Later that day I started a little experimental surgery on the Maven as PAC and i had discussed (I had to re-do the cockpit rim to fit my new Fat Lip Mountainsurf skirt). Basically I cut the rim off, then widened the cockpit area just where my knees are. I haven't put the new rim on yet, but with a few test-sittings have it tweaked so my knees are MUCH further apart (further apart than when I sit in the Groove, even).

For the curious, for paddler comfort, unless otherwise requested, "new" Maven's will only the the bow and stern cut down, leaving the "turret" area high so you can get your legs underneath easily (I have NO problem doing so in the "full cut", but taking 1/2" out of the hull makes a HUGE difference!).

For those of you with Maven's that are a bit skinnier than I (LEW and NZMatt:) ) I suspect that even with the cut down hull you should be OK. Let me know!

Out of curiousity- If I was to hold a 'CBoat Museum Armada', where folks could try out lots of different boats on slow moving flat water, then head over to some class II /III water in the afternoon, would there be any interest? I'd be able to provide a few beds to crash in, and lots of room to camp. If folks were available a second day, we'd be able to run something else (Class III if it's running or, depending on the group and time, Class III / IV).
Keep the C!
Adam
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Cut....

Post by PAC »

Ah good news that Kenneth in able to kneel now after the surgey!

Keep us posted on the Maven's "experimental surgery" and we will want photos! Wider than the Groove you say... eh? :-)

As for the 'CBoat Museum Armada' I would be interested if I can get away. But timing is everything with the family thing going on! Keep us posted! Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

museum armada

Post by billcanoes »

I'd be interested depending on location especially if it were a class II where I could take my son.

Bill
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

heck yes, I'd be interested as long as race boats are allowed to come, I hpoe to get out east sometime this fall, then would be a perfect time... :lol:
And, I will have a loco at that time.
cheers
-isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
Heidi
Pain Boater

Post by Heidi »

Cboat Museum Armada, excellent :D
MarcB
c

Post by MarcB »

I would be interested in coming, I'm not too far away in Syracuse. I'm a museum piece myself. Might see an old friend (boat).
Marc B