What are wings for?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

MarcB
c

What are wings for?

Post by MarcB »

I've been off the water a while....like 30 years. My last boat was a Hahn. So I picked up this slasher and I'm slowly getting back into it. Can somebody tell me what those little wings behind the cockpit on the edges are good for? (Tripping over?) Or were they just there to make the bow longer and more narrow? Thanks for explaining to the old and slow. Marc B
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

they were put there to make the boat race spec. as in 4.00 meters by .70 meters as to follow the minimum requirements set by the USACK, or who ever at that point. alot of boats have them, My zealot has them, and until about last year, they were there, then they changed the Minimum Width/Length to .65 meters by 3.5 meters. Now less boats have them with the width just incorporated into the hull design, instead of a hull, and wings to meet the requirements.

cheers
-isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

bearboater was too cheap to buy the variable sweep wings. Mine are great for boofing big drops.... I don't have to scuff off a rock, I just get up lots of speed and pop out the wings for a few seconds. :wink:
TomAnon
C Guru

Post by TomAnon »

Variable Swept Wings ehh?

I though they where missle pylons to clear some space in a crowded eddy....
TomAnon
C Guru

Post by TomAnon »

In all seriousness now, my sons new Makao has a hint of a wing on it to make the new minimum width requirements. The Makao is the most current design available from Galasport in a slalom C-1. The wing disapeered quickly in 2005 with the rule revision as many designers and owners simply cut them off and shortened the boats. For 2006, most all of the manufacturers now have built and tested to spec 3.5 M slalom boats versus cut down 4 M boats. They are really interresting to paddle!
MarcB
c

Post by MarcB »

OK, dopey old me thought maybe they were there for something useful, like tipping into the water and stopping a sideways slide. Like you make a left turn into an eddy and maybe tip the boat to the right while leaning to the left, stop the slide to the right like some kind of powerbrake or something. Probably just end up taking a quick look at the paddle against the sky and then the underwater view.
TomAnon
C Guru

Post by TomAnon »

Marc,

No, do not feel dopey..

On the older slalom boats such as the Max Series there is certainly that element you describe. In the '90s boat design changed, to a more "bow forward" paddling style. At that time the wings really did become spec getters. The current lot I am familiar with, the Makao and Loco are very much paddled from the bow. The old forward stroke ending with a stern pry is about useless and can be a real liability (I'm havin' a hard time weening myself from this) A stroll through the "See Boats" museum is a good way to get a feel for the changes. Look for comments from "DaveM". They are golden.

BTW, 'gotten back in your boat?
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Another use for wings, inspired by the chariot race in Ben Hur: a little linoleum knife pops out so you can deflate rafts when they try to run you over. :P
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

I put an ash tray on one side and a beer holder on the other. 8)
Bob P