Considerations for OC-1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Not Elvis
C Guru

Considerations for OC-1

Post by Not Elvis »

Saw all the chatter about the Solito and went to the Evergreen site. They also had Sequel in WW Canoe Category. Who has run one, what are their thoughts?

I need another OC-1 more than I want a race C1. I am wearing out my HD-1 and want another hull to wear so I can save my old reliable for old age.

For those of you who know me, answer this question--

Ocoee, Sequel, or Solito?

Chime in, anybody...
Ed Eout
C Boater

Post by Ed Eout »

Dude, you need a Genesis.

BTW, good to see you Saturday, sorry we had to blast so soon.
Martyn
Pain Boater

Post by Martyn »

Three very different boats. The Sequel has a very round hull. Both the Solito and the Ocoee have chines. I haven't paddled the Solito but I would bet it is a bit slower than the Ocoee. Rumour has it that it is kind of edgy. If you are coming from a Phantom, you might not like that but if you are used to paddling something like a Viper, Prelude, Ocoee, etc, I think it would be a good thing.
milkman
C Maven

Solito vs Ocoee

Post by milkman »

I have both a Solito and Bell Ocoee. I personally like the Solito better because it's shorter, but has all the great handling characteristics of the Ocoee. It's a really fun boat. The cons on both boats are their layups are light. It's thin Royalex. I baby the Solito by only taking it on runs that are not bony. I take my heavier layup boats (usually a Phantom) on the bony runs. I have heard a rumor that Evergreen may be looking into a heavier Royalex sheet for the Solito and I hope that's true. I think the boat could be very popular. With it's hard chine and flat bottom it really carves up a river and surf waves, plus has surprisingly good acceleration to boot.
Jim P
C Guru

You can try mine anytime

Post by Jim P »

J - you can jump in my Ocoee anytime and take her for a spin...
jnorto01
C Guru

Check out a Zephyr

Post by jnorto01 »

I got to try one of these out on the Nantahala. It is a really awesome boat. Handles like my Zoom, but tamer and with more hull speed. Jim Norton