Gull OC Slalom this weekend!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

CaroleW.
C Guru

Gull OC Slalom this weekend!

Post by CaroleW. »

Sept 9 - 10 Up at Minden. Info - contact Beth Kennedy at beth@rapidmedia.com

:D
Martyn
Pain Boater

Post by Martyn »

This race is a great answer to the recent "why most of us don't race" thread - if more races were like the Gull race, I think more of us would race. There's about as many racers as the US Nationals but it is more laid back. The water is great, and the level seems to have been holding - should be a really good weekend

Martyn
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

If you're looking for more racers from the States you might also consider posting on Northeast Paddlers Message Board (NPMB) on their Slalom Forum (http://www.npmb.com/cms2/forum_viewforum.php?26). A lot of the New England Slalom Series (NESS) racers check the NPMB board. It may be too late for this year, but you might also consider advising Davey Hearn (www.daveyhearn.com) once your race date is set; he maintains a slalom race schedule on his web site.

Am I correct in thinking that this race is for open boats only? Do you have any problems with getting enough entries by limiting it to OC only? If my impression is correct, you might consider opening eligibility to decked boats as well. Both the NESS (originally open boat only) races and Penn Cup slalom series discovered several years ago that, with the decline in numbers of racers, it was better for them to open their races to both open and decked boaters. Without expanding eligibility, races in both series would be in jeopardy of not having enough entries to provide gate judges for two sessions. In my experience, once you fall below about 50-60 entries, a race doesn't run any faster, because you wind up waiting for racers, particularly those racing multiple classes. Allowing both open and decked boats has worked well for these series - each boat type is still governed by their own rules (e.g. 10 second penalties for open boats, 2 seconds for decked). Even course design is not impacted much, although some former decked boat races may space their gates a tad more in consideration of the open boats.

Just a suggestion!

John
Martyn
Pain Boater

Post by Martyn »

John,

There's no problem getting enough boats. If anything, the problem is having too many boats. It used to be a one day race and is now spread over two.

Martyn
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

Martyn:

Then you're extremely fortunate! Despite slalom racing traditionally being strong in the NE U.S., it is rare for the intermediate and beginner races to have more than about 45-50 entries nowadays.

May your runs this weekend all be fast & clean!

John
Beth
c

Gull OC race

Post by Beth »

The Gull River Open Canoe Slalom Race is for open boats only and attendance increases yearly. This year we had 87 racers and over 35 volunteers (most of them non-racers).

We also had our first class for 12 and under kids, which took place on a class 1/swift at the bottom of the river and was not timed. There were six entrants and the new Splash canoe was on loan for all the kids to use. (the Splash canoe is amazing and is definitely key to opening up ww canoeing to kids - as well as us taking the kids to attainable rivers) It was heartening to watch the little race!

We also had five entrants in our juniors (18 and under) solo class and they run half of the course.

I think the key to the success of our race has several parts.

As paddlers, we go out of our way to encourage newbies (not beginner paddlers as the Gull is quite challenging but solid intermediates - we also encourage keen beginners to come out and volunteer - it's a great way for them to meet new people and learn more about the sport) and invite everyone we paddle with to come out and try out the race. Because of the inclusive spirit of the race, ww instructors feel comfortable encouraging their students to give it a try.

Further to this, once racers and volunteers arrive at the race weekend, we foster an inclusive and supportive environment. People who have just arrived and don't know anyone suddenly have paddlers on-shore shouting encouragement during their run. All decision-making regarding gate judging, etc. errs on the side of benefit of the doubt to the paddler. Poor sportsmanship results in DQ. Can't say we've ever had to enforce that one.

We have a fun family class - the parent/child tandem which is one of our biggest classes - kids as young as 3 (with very skilled paddlers in the stern) negotiate the gates with paddle in hand (not always in the water ;O).

There is definitely some serious competition at the race! Annual racers include Andrew Westwood, Carole Westwood, Andy Walker, Vanessa Charron, Mark Scriver, Paul Mason, Gail Shields, etc, etc. However at the race, you can have as much fun or take it as seriously as you want.

I think it's up to every individual who is passionate about OC and C1 to actively encourage others to participate. It's the only way our sport will grow. The surge in numbers that kayaking experienced in the past decade was a marketing flash-in-the-pan. Canoeing will endure. Anyone who dreams of paddling a remote river needs to learn to paddle whitewater. Maybe they'll just do that one river or, with encouragement, they will see the possibilities that being involved offers for them and for their kids.

Those who talk about it like it's dead are the ones are actively attempting to kill it. Anytime someone says to me that it appears that canoeing is on the decline gets an earful - it's quite the opposite!
Alden
CBoats Addict

boatin

Post by Alden »

"Anytime someone says to me that it appears that canoeing is on the decline gets an earful - it's quite the opposite!"

Good for you, Beth. My response when people say things like that is to simply assume that they are over 50 years old, looks be damned.

Sounds like a fun race on the Gull. The Gull is going in my guidebook - this may encourage Americans to visit, in a very small way. The problem is - I only have one decent photo of the Gull. Perhaps you or someone else could send me some good pictures of the Gull? Same goes for the Madawaska. My email is Alden110@gmail.com.

It was interesting to meet many of those Canadian canoeists at Nationals. I was talking to this one girl - I forget her name - but her familiarity with all of the wilderness multi-day trips up there that I quizzed her about was quite envigorating. As was the fact that she was probably my age and spends most of her days in open boat and is also (I gathered) an open boat instructor. Do most of us begin on the Moisie (a multi-day river out in nowhere) and then progress one day to the Ottawa (as I gathered that she did)? Very organic. I guess when you live up in Quebec you live right on the edge of the frontier, so to speak, at all times, and there's so little to keep you from heading out on a 10 day adventure whenever.

There's just something about Canada and its rivers and its boaters. To me the Southeast is all the sound and fury of Boatertalk beside. I feel the same way about DC. (Just joking . . . sort of).

Alden
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

Alden, I am over 50 and earned every single grey hair, thank you!

Actually Beth, you misunderstood my comment. I was NOT saying that the ranks of open canoers is in decline, but that this is the case for slalom racers (whether they be occasional or more serious racers). Hearing about a slalom race that actually has experienced an increase in numbers of entries in recent years is indeed unusual. Many of the welcoming and inclusive aspects of your race are also evident at beginner and intermediate slaloms in the NE, such as the NESS series, but unfortunately they have all experienced declining numbers of entries in recent years.

Congratulations on what sounds like it is a very successful event.

John
Beth
c

Post by Beth »

John - I should apologize - my rant was not in anyway directly aimed at you - I was actually thinking about all the kayakers who I run into on the river who like to make dinosaur comments. Oooh that makes my blood boil!

Alden - check out www.whitewaterontario.ca for great pics of the Gull at various sections and levels - it's under their drop down menu 'Rivers' - 'Gull River'

For pics of the Madawaska, you might try www.owl-mkc.ca for middle mad pics but other than that, I'm at a loss as to where you can find pics of the lower and upper Mad.
Alden
CBoats Addict

boatin

Post by Alden »

Thanks for the link, Beth. I'd like to come race on the Gull one year, although I don't know about this open boat thing.

Alden