H20 Paddles

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

H20 Paddles

Post by CosmikDebris »

What does anyone have to say about the H20 C1 paddles? I havn't seen any down here in the states and was just wondering about how strong they are and blade wear, etc...

The team has a strange, short looking blade, how does it paddle? What is the purchase like on that blade, it just seems really short and wide.

What are the blades made of, is it some kind of plastic resin like aquabound that flexes and whatnot or are they fairly stiff?

Any other recommendations for strong paddles? Gave up on Mitchell, Woody Custom, and don't really like the Werners cause they only last me several months.

-Will Lyons
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

They are great :D ! I have pretty much ditched everything elese and use them exclusively now (I need several papaddles with different shaft length, as the saddle heights in my boats varies from 4.5 to 8 inches).

Wear wise they are great, even the one I use in my Finkenmeister for my creeking has after a season of paddling barely any noticeable wear.
The Werner I used previously was worn down by almost 2 inches after a season and started to delaminate near the throat there I tend to hit the edge of the boat with it.
I have similar problems with my wood and carbon echo paddle.
The H2O shows so far no signs of damage aound the throat area

The blades are made of plastic, but the formulation seems to be much better than Acquabound, the blade is stiffer, although not quite as stiff as a composite blade. Stiffnesswise think of a good wooden paddle, that come close.
I have also broken Acquabounds and have not yet been able to achieve the same with the H2O, despite my attempts at beating rock into submission with it :-? ...

The Team paddle has a wider than usual blade with a slightly shorter blade to keep the overall surface area the same.
The ide behind this is to maximize the active surface area in shallow water when you can't get the entire blade in.
It seems to work very well. The purchase of the paddles is good, I don't think it's worse than what my Werner or Echo were.

The only drawbacks are that the blade does not slice through the water quite as nocely as a good slalom blade, and that, if you like the bend shaft, the bend is actually a bit low on the shaft and does not work for me if I use a saddle that's higher than about 5.5 -6 inches and if the paddle is longer than about 54 inches. And they are definitely heavier than a carbon race paddle.

They are mainly creek and freestyle paddles, I think for slalom boaters there are better suited options out there.

Overall, I love them and they are, at least for me, the best sticks that are currently out there.

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

I am a huge fan of the Gala Magnum paddle. the maxi is the one I use for my fink, and my flirt. its really strong, yet not too stiff. It is also pretty short in the blade, and therefore wider as well. some folks around here montana have the H20 stuff, the Canoerack is the only place I have ever seen in the states. If you like the waterstick paddles you will like the H20s. the blade is a plastic mixture with metal leaf inside for stiffness. if you look at the blade itself, you will see little veins, those are the metal ribs. and for the ergo shaft, they took one of their kayak paddles, and cut off that section and attached it to a regular shaft for length. yes the C1 team blade is funky. but a good catch.
Prost
-Isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

I disagree somewhat with Isaac, to me the H2O did not feel quite like the Watersticks, as they do not have the unique trihedral Watersticks were known for. I can't quite point out the differences in feel (it's been a while since I tried a Waterstick), but they do not quite fel the same.

I also think Isaac is mistaken about the metal leaf reinforcement, as far as I have been told by Steve Horvath, the designer, they are, except for the composite blade custom paddle, solid plastic resin.
The custom apparently has a plastic resin skeleton inside the composite blade.
I have however yet to see anyone use the custom paddle, most people either use their regular or the Team paddle, even the pro's, they all seem to use the Team.

Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Post by squeakyknee »

Where to buy an H2o paddle?, having trouble finding anywhere online.
I do love my wooden traditional Mitchell, but won't last me after creekin this fall. And I've broken a couple of Werners,they are a good bang for the buck, but don't last....
Gala sport-I like the feel, but had an issue with the one I demo'd,the Blade separated from the shaft in the middle of a III+ rapid..Scared the crud out of me,I did manage to "Hold "The blade up in the shft long enough to finish the rapid and get to the take-out....
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Here you can order H2O paddles online:

http://www.h2opaddles.com/shop/

squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Post by squeakyknee »

:D THANKS! :D [/b]
Jan_dettmer
CBoats Addict

Post by Jan_dettmer »

Will, I have not tried them either ... yet.

If they are as wear resistant as the Watersticks they should be pretty good. I paddled the waterstick for about 100 days, then I broke the blade (right in half).

I like the Echos a lot. Pretty tough and easy to fix. Nice shape.

I also like the Galasport Magnum. It's really light, not quite as wear resistant as the waterstick was but really powerful.

Oh well..... with paddles it seems to be like this for me: Buy one, get used to it, break it (they all break, have not tried a manufacturer where it did not happen), move on. So far I got used to all paddles as long as they were stiff enough and had enough power. I was quite sceptical about the blade shape of the Waterstick at first but got used to it after a few days.

Happy creeking! Jan

(Ps: I read about your accident in another post. That sucks man!)
Is there something like an expert kayaker?
http://www.bc-ww.com
Martyn
Pain Boater

Post by Martyn »

I really like the H20 paddles. I use one of their regular blades, I really haven't spent enough time with the Team blade to comment on it, but the guys who paddle with it seem to really like it. John, the guy who owns the company, is a great guy and a committed whitewater paddler. He really wants to push the edge of the envelope and make a better designed paddle out of better material. The H20 feels different than the Werner I usually paddle with. It seems to have more flex, but the first time out with the H20, my boat was moving noticeably faster. The H20 blade is more durable than what I am used to and paddling with it puts less of a strain on my shoulder. It feels like I am able to hold a faster stroke rate so I spend more time with the paddle in front of my knees and less time correcting. I haven't used the fancy high end slalom paddles, but I'm kind of hard on my toys, so I think the H20 is a better paddle for me.
cc
c

H2O paddles just feel right

Post by cc »

I have to agree with the great "Gonzo"

I have used these paddles and they feel wicked. Its like a instant recogontion of this is what I need to paddle with!!!!! By the third stroke your grin will be huge.

With the buiz. loops I obvious have with in certain markets.....these folks at H2O have it together and will be here for a long time to come producing what counts most....customer satisfaction. Satisfaction comes from customer/paddlers who have products that really work. Face it these paddles are made by people who paddle......HARD !!!!!!

( I'm not affiliated with H2O just, a guy in the industry)
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

i too love the galasport magnum but they break way too easy. i can't afford to buy three expensive paddles every year.
i ordered one of the h2o team paddles with a straight shaft and it arrived a couple days after i injured my shoulder.... :cry: ...so it's never been dipped in the water. i have done a lot of air paddling though... the blade seems kinda flexy when i throw a big brace on the floor, but i'm thinking that flex is gonna be a good thing for creeking.
i can't wait to try it out for real.
Larry
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

yeah, come to think of it, I am not sure where I heard that there was metal in there. not sure at all, maybe a fabrication of mine... who knows. anyhow, I have only paddled them briefly, and not really spent a ton of time with them. I made the waterstick remark, as they were designed by the same guy. with the same intention, and a different thought.
Prost
-Isaac
unlike Larry, who I am still impressed at, I have yet to break one of the galas. most likely I am just not at his level yet. we shall see.
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.