Boat on Ebay Hydra C2

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

philinasheville
C Guru

Boat on Ebay Hydra C2

Post by philinasheville »

I was surfin' ebay looking for a spray skirt and stumbled acrosse this. Just thought I'd share in case anyone's interested. Only used once?!

Ebay Item Number: 110079199208

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hydra-Duet-Closed-C ... dZViewItem
clt_capt
C Guru

Post by clt_capt »

It is better than no boat at all, but not by much.

A friend and I paddled one a number of years ago - because plastic was required for the citizen's race we entered. We were actually faster in a properly outfitted ME...
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

It is better than no boat at all, but not by much.
I love the Duet. I have two of them. I've paddled mine on the Upper Gauley, Upper Yough, Grand Canyon and on lots of rather steep creeks. It's so stable that I give totally non-boaters rides down class 3-4 rivers in it. It's not built for racing but it sure bounces off of rocks nicely. I don't need three of them or I would bid on it. I guess one person's trash is another person's treasure.

Jim
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

and look at those sick graphics. :D
i have never paddled one, but had to take a look at it to remember.
Prost
-isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Post by Bruce Farrenkopf »

I still have my Hydra Duet C2. I have paddled it often in the past. It is superb hole puncher and is very capable in difficult whitewater. I never have to be fussy with it, as one needs to be with a glass C2 - we can hit rocks with impunity. Just about every C2 owner I know is afraid to take their glass C2 into technical whitewater - being worried about 'smashing the tail' and other insults. It seems as if most C2's are for good looks when stacked on your vehicle and the racecourse. I am obvoiusly frustrated by the unwillingness of most C2 owners to bring their boats into the realm of challenging whitewater outside the racecourse.
Now I hope to sit back a little and hear about some exceptions :) .
Certainly I agree with Jim Michaud about the capability of the Duet - at least you can take THIS C2 into technical whitewater - leaving all the pretty, delicate C2's on the bank.
Wow, I can't believe how defensive I am about my old Duet :oops: !
SYOTR,
Bruce
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Interesting....

Post by PAC »

Duet - great boat for getting the kids into paddling. You can leave it in the yard and let them play in it and get comfortable with it. Then take it out and let them drag it run into rocks and such and they love it. Super stable, durable and paddling friendly - a good C2 boat for dropping water falls! The boat lets you get away with things and giggle about it afterwards. It might be a bit of a pig but its fun to wallow with! Oh and pulling 360s in it gets everyone's attention. Particularly the kid's! LOL :wink:
The one posted looks to need some cockpit work but I had some issues with the one I picked up and it was easy. I even like the color / graphics…different from the more popular red ones I see more often. If I wasn't so strapped for $ and need a creeker first I'd be interested just for a back up!
Paul C.

It would be a good addition to any collection - Oh and I'm not related in any way to the seller.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
David Nickerson
Pain Boater

After Duet fun with Jim Michaud,

Post by David Nickerson »

I'm eyeballing this for future fun with my new little guy TJ (who is only 7 months old right now).

Looking forward to an inflatable OC1 with him this summer. Anyone got a deal on a SOAR 12?

Thanks,
David
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

Bruce:

My wife and I used to cruise rivers in our slalom (composite) C-2 all the time in the early-mid 80s. Running the Cheat, New, Ottawa, and the Lower Gauley in a slalom C-2 was fairly uncommon back then. I would have taken it on the Upper Gauley & Upper Yough too, but that's where my wife drew the line. However, I wouldn't want to paddle a composite C-2 on most of what is called Class V nowadays.

John