c-1 conversion

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

j.m.
C Boater

c-1 conversion

Post by j.m. »

What are some kayaks that would be easy to convert to a c-1? I paddle a bell prodigy x and was wanting to give a c-1 a shot. I mainly just run rivers but would like to work my way up to class 4 creeking and some playboating. Thanks for any input.
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

They're all easy to convert. Just rip out the junk & you have a clean slate to start with :D Asside from that, look for big cockpit opennings. These will allow you to get in &, more importantly OUT of the boat more easily. WaveSport & Liquid Logic come to mind. Unless you have small legs & can kneal real low, I'd stay away from Riot & Necky. It's a shame though, 'cause they make good boats. I just can't stuff my large self into 'em :-?
denisanic
c

Riot Grind

Post by denisanic »

Hey

Well, I am a kayaker really, so you may call me :evil: , jk. I am maybe not to go as far as to say switching to C1, but I am sure giving it a shot. It will make me a better paddler I belive, and to me, its all about the water, if you kneel or sitt, I realy don't care too much.

I have opted to outfitt my Riot Grind. I stand at 6'7, weighing at 220 something, so for me that was one way to go. I definetly agree with large cockpits, reason why I used my Grind, it has a farly big one. I did like Mike here puts it, I riped out the junk.

I wish I could tell you how great it has been for me and all that, but I heaven't been to the pool with it yet. I am hoping my outfitting is going to work, I do have some detailing to do but it should be ok. On tuesday i get my hip pads so thats a bonus too.

Grind is an older riot boat, and i do like surfing with it, its spacy for my long legs and not to heavy on my shattered ankles from bballing. Is my career as a C1-paddler going to be long with knee problems, who knows, am I going to have a blast, you bet.

be sure to do good outfitting, we all say that, but make sure that you are comfy with the boat, atleast to start of with.

Hope it works out for you

P.S. Why did I write all this above, well, I can find something to squeze my legs into, I belive you will too.
TomAnon
C Guru

Post by TomAnon »

Be sure to check the trim of the boat before you start glueing in saddles and such. The balance point when kneeling will be forward of where you would normally sit when kayaking. In some cases it will be very far forward. You really have to kneel in it in water to get it just right. This is really a crucial step.
boatbuster
CBoats Addict

In the meantime keep on creeking in your OC1

Post by boatbuster »

No need to stop open boating. They are great for class IV rapids.