Zephyr or Paradigm

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

philinasheville
C Guru

Zephyr or Paradigm

Post by philinasheville »

I just put a deposit on a Zephyr and need some advice. I've paddled one once and loved it. I've also paddled an Ocoee several times and loved that boat as well. Should I consider trying a Paradigm prior to making this purchase?

I'm 5'9 185lbs

Thanks!
-phil
ChrisKelly
CBoats Addict

How solid is your roll?

Post by ChrisKelly »

What do you want to do with the boat?
philinasheville
C Guru

I'll paddle rivers like, Tellico, Ocoee, French Broad, Nolichucky, Big Laurel, Wilson, ect... Class 3-4 rivers and even some creeks.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I have a Zephyr and have had the pleasure of paddling it 5-6 times before the D-rings blew out (the old glue, haven't built a bulkhead yet) and love it. To me it is not the most aggressive boat around, but forgiving - I feel comfortable trying harder moves in it. I've paddled a number of the rivers you mentioned (in a Mohawk Viper) - I would feel very comfortable running them in this boat. [If I can ever get away, I will run them...] Despite my D-ring failure (the new glue corrects that I hear), I am sold on the material - light and strong.

I have no experience with the Paradigm nor any particular opinion on its design.
Randy Dodson
C Guru

Post by Randy Dodson »

sbroam wrote: To me it is not the most aggressive boat around, but forgiving - I feel comfortable trying harder moves in it. .

Do you think that an Ocoee or a Solito is a more aggressive boat?

I paddled a Zephyr about 3 miles of class II plus and surfed it quite a bit Wednesday, and really liked it. It's been so long since I paddled an Ocoee I can't remember how it would compare.
Parrot Head Paddler
Swimmer

Big paddler in Zephyr

Post by Swimmer »

I am 250lbs+- per season. Anyone near my girth paddled this boat? How does it react to the weight?
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Randy -

Can't compare to a Solito as I never paddled one and it's been a long time since I hopped in an Ocoee. But, I'd say it is comparable to the Ocoee, but not as edgy. Very similar feel to the Viper 12 (but shorter), similar edge (less? maybe not). [I remember folks saying the Viper 11 was a bit different than the 12, never tried the 11]

Swimmer -
As for weight, I'm about 220# and it handles me fine. Hard to say how much reserve it has - you'd be welcome to try mine if our paths cross. I'm in SC and hope to make the canoe shindig in TN.
Louie

maybe

Post by Louie »

we might have one of each there
msims
CBoats Addict

Post by msims »

Swimmer,

I paddled the nitro at 240#s and because of the double chines, the hull is quite narrow, it sinks quite a bit... you might want something with a softer chine, zypher would be a good candidate...IMHO - I havent paddled one yet but hopefully this spring summer...

As your weight goes up you sink, making your a lot more vulnerable to side currents if you're not on with your edging - if 6" of your boat is upstream on current and the chine is hard you'll windowshade pretty quick. If you have a softer chine, maybe not as quick.. and might be able to counter a little more..
-- Cya
philinasheville
C Guru

I decided to just go ahead and buy the Zephyr. I did get to see a Paradigm at NOC on saturday. It looks exactly like a cross between an Ovation & Phantom, neither of which I care for. I'm sure that it may have some differences. The green color is a lot better in person. I actually think its a cool color.

Either way I'm glad to be the proud new owner of a Zephyr!

-phil
beereddy
C Guru

Zephyr or Paradigm

Post by beereddy »

And immediately change straps to bulkhead :lol:
philinasheville
C Guru

I actually bought it outfitted with the bulkhead! It was an option.

-phil
kanur
C Guru

Post by kanur »

Congrats on the new boat, it looks like a fun one.
Dennis

"Just Cause I Don't Run My Mouth Don't Mean I Got Nothing To Say" Mike Cooley DBT
Jon
C Guru

Paradigm

Post by Jon »

Check out Bob`s comments on boats and the industry in general:
http://www.bobfoote.com/bob/bobesquifrealationship.htm
philinasheville
C Guru

Good article. I wish I could have tried one out. It sounds to me like the boat is a lot different from an Ovation & Phantom.

I will be very interested to hear what people think about the Paradigm here in the near future.

-phil