thigh straps

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

noobopenboater
Pain Boater

thigh straps

Post by noobopenboater »

I rented an outrage months ago from my local university's outdoor program and it had these thick black thigh straps with a quick release I really liked and havnt seen since. Im reoutfitting my own boat and are trying to track some down cause I liked them. I checked the rental boat out today and they have SEA QUEST stamped on the buckles. The yakers at the shop were clueless. anyone know if these are mad river factory straps? They dont look like the ones on madrivers website. anyone ever heard of em. internet searches reveal nothing.
dccjon
C Boater

Voyager...

Post by dccjon »

Made the straps. I have them on my Outrage X. I don't thing they are produced anymore, but you could check.
Jon
noobopenboater
Pain Boater

Post by noobopenboater »

thanks jon, that helps.
Plumbpass
C Boater

Thigh straps

Post by Plumbpass »

You need Mike Yee thigh straps, there are none better. Search Mike Yee Outfitting on line, he has a list of dealers on his site. I have his outfitting in my Outrage, it's the best.
OC1_SURFER
Pain Boater

Post by OC1_SURFER »

Jon Is correct. These were made by Voyageur and were called STROC (Straps/Thigh/Rigid/Open/Canoe) straps. I have them in two of my boats and I really like them. Unfortunately, they are not produced anymore. What set them apart from other thigh straps was that quick-release buckle you are speaking of. If you could ever find a pair of the buckles, you could probably manufacture the rest of the system yourself. I'm guessing that the "Seaquest" brand has to do with scuba gear. They are probably intended for use as some kind of quick release set-up for air tanks...just a guess. Try a search.

Terry
noobopenboater
Pain Boater

Post by noobopenboater »

thanks terry, seaquest searches do bring up diving gear. Maybe Ill look for the buckles; thanks again. Mike.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

NorthWater also makes excellent outfiitting

http://www.northwater.com/home.html
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
noobopenboater
Pain Boater

Post by noobopenboater »

thanks to all who replied, I found those QR buckles. other than cboat thigh straps they apparently are popular for QR on diving weight belts. item WB34 at most online dive stores. thanks again for the advice from all.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

:wink: A quick release is always nice to have, but try to avoid strap systems that are unnecessarily heavy, especially when wet.

1. If possible, try to use a strap that does not stretch when wet.... That is, NOT Nylon. (Hard to avoid, realistically speaking.)

2. Try to avoid an adjustment system that involves huge lengths of doubled-over Nylon, fastened to itself with huge areas of Velcro. This is just more strap to absorb water and stretch. You do not need a lot of adjustment range, because you will be the only one paddling the boat.
BigSpencer

Mohawk!...

Post by BigSpencer »

You might want to try Mohawk. Hopefully, most everything will again be available. Voyager, most likely borrowed the idea(s) from Mohawk....--> this is just a guess.
OC1_SURFER
Pain Boater

Post by OC1_SURFER »

Seems to be some question about what the STROC's look like. They're really pretty unique. To disengage, you simply pull up on the large yellow grip (right side of photo). The buckle (marked with red line) is released from the hook-shaped clip (marked with yellow line). Also, the strap material is very stiff and does not absorb much water.

Its very disappointing that these are no longer produced. I ordered my second pair through a local dealer. Don't know if he got them direct from Voyageur or from Mad River, but he said that I got the last pair they had.

Terry
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

rigid thigh straps

Post by billcanoes »

I have a pair or two they've never been used but the vinyl does have a kink or two in it from storage.

Terry
Hope you been well- did you end up selling the Zoom at GAF?
noobopenboater
Pain Boater

Post by noobopenboater »

bill are you coming to the Lenoir city fest? bring a set of those straps I'll buy them from you if you want to get rid of them. That goes for anyone else that is attending, I'll be looking for outfitting for my next boat that I dont have yet.Mike.
Space Canoe
C Guru

Sea quest has changed its name.. I think....

Post by Space Canoe »

I got a few companies to try this buckle when I found if from the scuba company in San Diego in the 80's. They have since been bought out and changed their name but I seem to recall at my last inquiry that they still made the quick release buckle; in fact I think that this is the very same buckle in this pic, which is on their current website:

http://www.deepseeinc.com/products/pos_ ... _belt.html

I seem to remember getting some middle management jerk that couldn't have been less interested in a small sale to a private party, but maybe things have changed...
Good luck
Ric Taylor
noobopenboater
Pain Boater

Post by noobopenboater »

thanks ric, thats the one,I did find the buckle at scuba.com, a company called trident (item#wb34)makes them now. They were only $6 so I bought 4 of them to experiment with. They are not exactly the same as the voyaguer buckle but almost. The hook that wraps around tlhe connecting buckle is a little longer so it wont release as easy, but a file should take care of it. I have some 2" webbing and will try to build some double thigh straps eventually as a side project.