Next Saturday (march 10) at the Canoe Thingy

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ChrisKelly
CBoats Addict

Next Saturday (march 10) at the Canoe Thingy

Post by ChrisKelly »

The Clear Creek at Lily gauge is reading about 1,200 cf and the Emory at Oakdale sez about 6,000. That means that Clear Creek is certain to be runnable. Little or no rain is forecast between now and then and the Temp is projected to be 63F.

Several people have expressed a desire for a trip of moderate difficulty. All that adds up to Clear Creek, Jett to Nemo with anybody who wants to completely avoid class III water taking out at Lily Bridge.

I wil commit to leading such a trip. Please be aware of these things:

I might be wrong about water levels or weather.

I am a bit of a shuttle nazi. My experience is that when a large group of boaters convenes it is comprised of peeps who, if left to their own devices can get on and off the river just fine. When they assemble they become a leaderless mass, with each person tending to pee, get coffee, get gas, etc one at a time and generaly wandering aimlesslly about the parking lot. If allowed to behave thusly this mass will normally launch in the golden glow of the setting sun. To avoid this I wil nag.

I am not in charge here. This is just a group of new and old friends going boating together. Whether to come and whether to run any rapid is a decision which each person makes for himself. I will strive to operate with normal river group safety procedures but will probably get it wrong. If you do not chose to be responsible for yourself and do not accept that paddling whitewater is an inherently risky activity please don't come.

I will post further information here. For example, I don't know yet if it is better to assemble in Lenoir City or at the Ranger Station in Wartburg. (I am leaning toward Lenoir City, picking up stragglers at Wartgurg.)

If you want harder water there wil be lots available. Talk with Louie about that.

Chris Kelly

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/conte ... l/id/1732/

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/conte ... l/id/1731/
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Thanks Chris
Detonator Function
Pain Boater

Post by Detonator Function »

Any idea what day you'll run that trip?

Also, thanks for volunteering; brave of you.
Is this a rock I see before me?
ChrisKelly
CBoats Addict

Yes, Saturday, March 10

Post by ChrisKelly »

Or maybe we want to do tellico on the 10th and Clear Creek on the 11th. Considering both options.
Louie

with a lot of groups

Post by Louie »

you need a shuttle Nazi
Jon
C Guru

Whatever

Post by Jon »

We are planning on arriving Friday evening. I would like to meet in Lenoir - perhaps we'll drop arount to the hall after we check in. We'll be paddling tandem (Nexus) on Saturday. What time do you want to see our happy faces? If there is someplace to safely store my other boat, then I can actually help out with the shuttle. (4 door sedan, double roof racks). Really looking forward to this - tonight here they are calling for a low of -10F with a wind chill of -30F (and this is Southern Ontario!). This is gonna be FUN! Dry suits? Wet suits and dry tops? Pack a lunch? (see previous post about feeding the bow).
bald1
Pain Boater

Post by bald1 »

I am hoping to get in on this one also. About the hall... Is it just a large room where we can crash?
ChrisKelly
CBoats Addict

My plan for Saturday on Clear Creek

Post by ChrisKelly »

Let's drive away from the hall in Lenoir City at 9 am eastern time, stop at the HQ office for the Obed-Emory National River in Wartburg and leacve there by 10 am eastern time. This means that we need to get boats and people consolidated and loaded prior to 9 am. I am doing it this way because I am sure some folks will say "I'll meet you at Wartburg." BTW, the Wartburg HQ is a traditional meeting place for Obed boaters. It is in downtown Wartburg and easrier to find than to give directions to. Just go to Wartburg and look around. You cannot miss it. We can gove good directions from Lenoir City to Wartburg on Saturday morning. I think it will take maybe 45 minutes. (Louie, is that right?) We will take several vechicles to Nemo, maybe leave a couple at Lily and go to Jett with all the boats. We may just send the boats to Jett as we run the shuttle. If there are shuttle bunnys around we can certainly use them. There is lots of good hiking in the area and SBs can easily watch the boaters run both Lily rapid and Jack's Rock..

We will stop to scout and set safety at Jack's Rock, Camel Rock and Wooten's Folley.

If we stick to the above schedule we will be on the river during the warmest part of the day and off before 4 pm. The weather is predicted to be somewhere between 56 and 62, with sunny to possible showers. I will wear my dry suit and we will stop for lunch.

I am not a person who worries about my boats being stolen but I am sure that Louie has a place we can store them. I'd rather not take unused boats because my goal will be to make as few round trips with as few cars/trucks as possible. Also TSRA has a training event Saturday on Clear Creek so parking at Jett may be at a premium and we will seeanother big group on the river.

Maybe I'l make a quick run on Clear Creek on Friday just to check it out. Anybody want to paddle Friday?

Chris Kelly