Can anyone post a picture of the Splash canoe

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Al Greve
C Guru

Post by Al Greve »

Andy from Echo paddles is just putting the finishing touches to the New Kids paddles. He has't yet given the paddle a name. I should have the first ones shipped to me within the week, as I am a Echo paddle dealer. So the kids won't only have their own boat, they'll have a pretty sweet stick as well !!!! :D

For those parents that maybe interested, I do carry a complete line of youth paddling gear, from wetsuts, drysuits, PFD's, foot wear, hand wear, rash guards.

Al
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

conversion

Post by ohioboater »

Comes out to $1360 USD at current exchange rates.
Beth
c

splash

Post by Beth »

Hey Al - you forgot the biggest selling point of your boat - it's light enough that the kids can carry it themselves!
Al Greve
C Guru

Post by Al Greve »

Thanks Beth , that was another reason I went ahead with this project. The kids can start to carry their own boat...... what do I look like ..... a Sherpa ???? :lol:
Erin683
c

Post by Erin683 »

Would be very interesting to see a small man or woman that fit the weight category give this a try. And ladies portaging just got easy !

Keep up the good work guys !
Gaétan Lacroix
Splash - Québec sales rep[/quote]

I am a small open boater (5'2", 105 lbs) and I would LOVE to try this boat!!!

Erin
Al Greve
C Guru

Post by Al Greve »

Hi Erin,
At 105 the boat would fit you, but the performance may not be that inspiring, given it was designed for novice kids.
If you can wait for a little while longer, I'm working on a design that's a step from the Splash, my coal is to put a sportier boat on the water for more advanced youth and small ladies like your self. The prototype should hit the water around Mayish.
draximus
c

Post by draximus »

Ive been reading all the postings about the new "Splash".
It really seems odd that all the questions are being directed to this "Al" person. I am positive that the boat was built, and mostly created by Andrew Phillips.
If this boat is as great as everyone is saying it is maybe the praise should go to the person that is responcible for all the hard work and long hours it takes to build one.

Draximus
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Hello everyone,

Its been a over the top experience, designing, building and getting kids into these little boats.

I will be posting more photos of the Splash and various paddlers, giving their all as we have even got word and visual comfirmation,
of 7 year kids pulling their rolls of on flat water, with min. time actually in the boat.

Others attempting their first slalom races in Minden Ontario Canada this past Sept 9/10 2006.

While other youth paddleing down the middle channel of the Ottawa and getting a feel for what it is to be independent, attempting surfs, side surfs, a few wet exits, and these amazing features on a river called a green tongue,......only to be a arms length away from Mom and Dad. ( I don't know who has got the bigger smiles in some of these pictures the kids or the parents)

Thanks to everyone in the various threads around the internet, the feed back has been awesome!!!

Our Composite Creations website will be up shortly as we work out a few gliches. Links to Canoe Water Adventering.ca / Al Greves should be live anytime now.

We will do our best to answer all your questions, and hope to see you on the water real soon

Andy Phillips
Sounds like Mr. Phillips was pretty clear about his involvement in the Splash canoe and about his relationship with this "Al" person.

:D

KNeal

P.S. Hey, Squeaky! If you get a Splash for your daughter, can I call dibs now for that boat so my daughter can paddle it 5-6 years from now? She's only 1-year old right now and has not even started on flatwater. :wink:
Last edited by KNeal on Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Here's how Al Greve described the project in a thread on the Canadian Canoe Routes forum:
OK.....to my knowledge there has never be a solo white water canoe designed for kids. Its been for what ever reason,( I don`t know ) that we`ve never thought of designing canoes for young people and more so white water solo boats. After watching many young people paddling kayaks that are designed for kids, I thought why not canoes ? So after a number of camp fires and talking and picking their brains from the likes of Paul Mason , Andrew Westwood and Mark Scriver I started the project, to design and build this canoe. So far the plug has been made and we are moving to the next stage, taking the mould. The boat is going to be called the Splash and will be made of Carbon and will be vacum baged and baked. I have working with me a former Nova Craft and Diamond Air Craft employee Andrew Phillips who has started his own company called Composite Creations.

Post by draximus »

Still sounds like he trying to grab all the glory for doin nuthin.
draximus
c

Post by draximus »

I was just checking out "Al's" web page.
Funny thing is that he dosent even mention his involvement with Composite Creations. Kinda makes you wonder...
Al Greve
C Guru

Post by Al Greve »

How do you spell Troll?? d-r-a-x-i-m-u-s.
But yes, he is correct. Andy (who, by the way, is a good friend my mine) does deserve much credit for his time and effort in building a boat that unfortunately wasn't created until now.

I'm not looking for glory here. But I'll tell you what I'm looking for.... I'm looking to promote kids and open solo canoeing. To give them an opportunity to venture into something none of us had the chance to do.

draximus you can see the post that was written by me from the CCR which milkman has just posted. But I can give you a little bit more insight to the history of the Splash .....if you like? The idea first came to mind about 2-1/2 years ago when I spoke to both Andrew Westwood and Mark Scriver when we were sitting around a fire. At that point I decided I was going to go ahead with the boat and design. The boat was designed here in my garage. When the core design of the plug was finished I took it to Andy's shop where we both worked on it together, with Andy doing the lions share. Andy supplied all the technical knowledge through all the stages including the mould, and now the production. That's the long and the short it.

Now I have the help of my girls, the Rich and the Mason girls...... it's them that are doing the promoting, because without them showing that the boat can be paddled by kids, the idea means nothing!

If glory or credit needs to be given, it needs to be given to these little pioneers!!!!
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Trolling...

Post by PAC »

Folks there was a thought, as an ADMIN, to "addressing" this thread...something the cboats admins normally don't have to do.

However, based on the most recent post, quoted below, it will be left up.... for the time being.
....it's them that are doing the promoting, because without them showing that the boat can be paddled by kids, the idea means nothing!

If glory or credit needs to be given, it needs to be given to these little pioneers!!!!
Getting kids involved in paddling stands on its own merits and anything to that end warrants the support of the entire paddling community! I know my son thinks this boat is "awesome" based on the posts and the photos from Louie's event.

Paul C.
Last edited by PAC on Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Post by squeakyknee »

KNeal wrote: P.S. Hey, Squeaky! If you get a Splash for your daughter, can I call dibs now for that boat so my daughter can paddle it 5-6 years from now? She's only 1-year old right now and has not even started on flatwater. :wink:
If I decide to get one, consider it a deal :wink:
I have gotten Her out in a taureu so far and she did pretty good, even did a natural crossover stroke with no instruction.
I am gonna put her in a river class this summer so she can try yakkin to and let her decide what she wants to paddle.( But I WILL be workin on the OC-1 thing alot with her so we will see.)
Shawn
Amiga!!
draximus
c

Post by draximus »

Troll?
Careful Al. You might just bo opening a new cans of words!